nerves

emt12resq

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An 0300 call for a traumatic injury that turns out to be a wound check is not a little bit on the side of BS?

Nope. Not in the least. It concerned the patient enough to call you at 0300 when he could have been asleep, so it's your job to take care of it, palliative care and all. Yes, I know that you are very disappointed that you didn't get to see somebody in massive pain and losing massive blood, which is what you got into EMS for in the first place. Tough shit. The guy has a MEDICAL problem, and you are supposed to be a MEDICAL professional, so deal with it or go back to polishing your nozzle.

Nope. Not in the least. It concerned the patient enough to call you at 0300 when he could have been asleep, so it's your job to take care of it, palliative care and all. Yes, I know that you are very disappointed that you didn't get to see somebody in massive pain and losing massive blood, which is what you got into EMS for in the first place. Tough shit. The guy has a MEDICAL problem, and you are supposed to be a MEDICAL professional, so deal with it or go back to polishing your nozzle.

Amen...If they are concerned enough to call..they deserve your best effort. They don't have the benefit of your vast medical knowledge and expertise until they do :? . Most of medicine is palliative care my friend. :wink: Not in the least BS if your on the receiving end.

It concerned the patient enough to call you at 0300 when he could have been asleep, so it's your job to take care of it, palliative care and all.

And that would not bother me....

It is when the skilled nursing facility that the patient is staying at calls is what bugs the piss out of me.

I do not mind at all going on a call for elevated BP just because the patient was lonely and wanted someone to talk to. It is when an RN wakes a patient up to take them to the ER via Ambulance at 0300 to have the doc say "Yeah, everything looks good" when it could easily wait until the morning.

Ok, I understand what your saying dustdevil about the whole quitting volunteering thing. But whatever happen to the phrase practice makes perfect. I mean isn't it the same thing. Im just not getting pain for it. And when I said earlier Ive tried. I dont k nnow if you caught it but that was meaning Ive applied for paid positions. Im not gonna be a volunteer forever but isnt the practice worth it??? I mean Im not leaving for school until spring and I dont want to loose my information till then. SO shouldnt I get some practice untril I leave. As for me running off from people who are trying to give me constructive critism and advice yeah right. I know myself and I know this is what I want to do or I wouldnt have joined this site to get some advice. I mean though some of you can/are being hard A's its not stop me from accomplishing my biggest goal. I know where I stand I just need a little help figuring everything out and getting comfortable. so thanks again for all the advice.

I do not mind at all going on a call for elevated BP just because the patient was lonely and wanted someone to talk to. It is when an RN wakes a patient up to take them to the ER via Ambulance at 0300 to have the doc say "Yeah, everything looks good" when it could easily wait until the morning.

I guess I just don't get what difference it makes to you what time he goes to the hospital? Did you have something better to do than your job? If so, then again, go back to the fire hall where you can sleep more and not be arsed with having to actually earn a living.

And guess what; the RN doesn't make that decision. She will not be refusing the doctor's order any more than you will be. He says go, the patient goes.

And, of course, if you work for an employer that expects you to sleep on duty, your employer sucks. Tell them to join the 21st century.

Ok, I understand what your saying dustdevil about the whole quitting volunteering thing. But whatever happen to the phrase practice makes perfect. I mean isn't it the same thing. Im just not getting pain for it. And when I said earlier Ive tried. I dont k nnow if you caught it but that was meaning Ive applied for paid positions. Im not gonna be a volunteer forever but isnt the practice worth it??? I mean Im not leaving for school until spring and I dont want to loose my information till then. SO shouldnt I get some practice untril I leave.

No. I don't know if you missed an entire paragraph or if you are just not willing to accept it. The answer is still no. You have explained perfectly yourself why not. You're getting no more than 2 runs a week at the most. You're being elbowed out of the way on the vast majority of those runs. And you're working side-by-side with idiots who aren't qualified to teach you anything or even set a minimally acceptable example for you. You're not getting experience. You're only getting exposure. Minimal exposure. Bad exposure. It will not be the slightest bit of help to you. It will be a hindrance to your future growth. The ONLY thing you are getting out of this thing is the excitement of the tones. If you are serious about both your future and this profession, you will get out now. But if hurting your professional growth is an acceptable sacrifice for the excitement of the tones, then don't expect a lot of support from the real professionals. We know when to stop wasting our breath.

As for me running off from people who are trying to give me constructive critism and advice yeah right. I know myself and I know this is what I want to do or I wouldnt have joined this site to get some advice.

We know you want to do it. What we want to know is if you want to do it right. Do you?

I mean though some of you can/are being hard A's its not stop me from accomplishing my biggest goal.

You're losing respect here very quickly. Who is trying to stop you from accomplishing your biggest goal? Did I not just spend half an hour laying out a step by step plan for you to accomplish your biggest goal? Would I do that if I didn't care? What exactly is your biggest goal? I thought it was to have a career as a professional paramedic. Was there some other goal that I missed? How in hell could you possibly get the slightest idea from my post that I had any interest in hurting your goal?

You don't realise it, but you're the one being the hard ass here. Multiple experienced and educated veteran paramedics have offered their sincere advice here, and you don't seem to want to hear it. We have explained exactly what we mean and why, and you act as if nobody has said anything helpful to you. You're being a hardass because you absolutely cannot live with the thought of not having the twice a week "excitement of the tones" in your life. Do you not see how very sad that is? How very silly it makes you look? Are the "tones" your bigest goal in life, or is being a professional paramedic your biggest goal in life? It's time to decide. Let us know so we can quit wasting any time on you if you're not interested in being a pro.

I know where I stand I just need a little help figuring everything out and getting comfortable. so thanks again for all the advice.

It is quite obvious that you don't have a clue where you stand. You need more than a little help. You need a reality check. Good luck.

Dust, You've done a masterful job of spelling it out for this person. I think you might be banging your head against a brick wall though.

Listen to Dust, he's spot on. If you don't , you only have yourself to blame.

The experience you get from 2 calls a week is nothing. You should be working towards getting a good education. If like you say the tones get you off then you should be right there with the level of excitement of your other vollies.

Get out of that situation and get some schooling. Unfortunately, after my earlier post I think this person needs more than two semester's of English Comp. Not to be critical(ok I will actually) if you are writing reports and your grammar and spelling is as bad on your patient care reports as it is here then you are in trouble.

Please don't give me the old standby excuse that I type differently on the internet than I do on the Patient care reports. That's a lame excuse. There is such a thing as spellcheck. I am just as bad as many on the internet but I try to compose a decently worded reply or post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.