Firefighter fired for pretending to be in Special Forces

From MSNBC News:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20772358/

WMAQ-TV

Updated: 11:38 a.m. ET Sept 14, 2007

ORLAND PARK, Ill. - The embattled Orland Fire Protection District firefighter who faces up to 20 years in prison for allegedly bilking his employer while lying about fighting overseas has resigned. The fire district received a resignation letter from Larry Masa last Friday -- five months after the district asked him to sign one, Fire Protection District Board President Patrick Maher said.

During a recent exclusive interview with the Daily Southtown, Masa said, "If it wasn't going to make any of the criminal charges go away, how could I sign it?"

Masa and his attorney did not return phone calls for comment Thursday.

What Masa's resignation means is unclear.

The 42-year-old Morris resident hasn't been working since he was arrested earlier this year, and he hasn't been paid since March, when his unused accrued time ran out, Maher said. Plus, Masa still faces up to 20 years in prison for theft and official misconduct.

Maher said the resignation means a great deal to the fire district.

"We're able to start putting this thing to rest, putting closure on this," Maher said. "It's just a huge step for us."

The former firefighter, whom friends have called dynamic and dedicated, is accused of telling his supervisors five times from March 2003 to April 2006 that he was called to active duty. During that time, Masa allegedly collected about $193,000 in salary and benefits that are available to firefighters on legitimate military leave, prosecutors have said. His fellow firefighters racked up $50,000 in unpaid overtime pay to cover his shifts.

The district sued Masa to get its money back. The lawsuit is pending.

The results of an internal fire district investigation released in April concluded that fire officials might have been suspicious of Masa if they had listened to rumors circulating in the firehouse or if they had opened a sealed envelope in his personnel file that allegedly acknowledged Masa was working for a private contractor instead of serving in the military.

Orland Park police investigated the conduct of fire administrators and in part discredited the internal investigation, saying that former Deputy Chief Art Granat did not delete a Masa-related file from his laptop before he retired, as the fire district's report claimed. The police are not pursuing conspiracy charges against any top brass.

Masa stands by his story that he was working overseas, from the deserts of Pakistan to the mountains of Nepal. He has said he was training soldiers and gathering information on terrorists while working for USIS, an independent military contractor.

He admits giving the fire district fake deployment papers.

Much of Masa's story can't be verified because he has not provided documents or employer contacts to the Daily Southtown.

In his resignation letter addressed to Maher, Masa doesn't explain why he's quitting, Maher said.

He added that he wasn't sure if he could provide the Daily Southtown with a copy of the resignation letter. The fire district referred the request to acting Chief Bryant Krizik, who did not return a phone call.

Related Story:

Sept. 14, 2007: Chief Charged In Firefighter Fund Theft

Copyright 2007, Sun-Times News Group:

I am not involved in the military, nor do I plan on enlisting. Several of my friends are, however in the military. They serve our country because they volunteer'd to do so. They put their lives on the line every day for their country because their country tells them to, and because they want to.

It makes me sick, to even think of this. When I came across this article, i was appalled when I read this. Pretending to be something you are not... get a freaking life. People out their are dying, getting maimed, legs blown off.... parents losing their kids, kids losing their parents, wives losing their husbands... families being town apart for DOING THE REAL THING... and this prick has to go around and say he an american hero, fighting for his country, under the suspicion of one of America's elite fighting forces... is nothing more some asshat trying to make up or his own short comings or something.

Maybe it's just me that is pissed about this, or maybe I am not... sorry for the rant... but this just sickens me.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an assclown! But I can tell you all this much: His employer is at fault as well for not demanding to see his activation orders or for even having a contact number from his unit.

Even reserve component Special Forces units have commercial phone numbers that any one could call to check an employees story or verify their membership in a unit.

This assclown was greedy and got caught trying to get two big paychecks all the while throwing in the "Special Forces-Secret mission" sexy warrior crap to make himself look good.

Somedic sends.

What an assclown! But I can tell you all this much: His employer is at fault as well for not demanding to see his activation orders or for even having a contact number from his unit.

Even reserve component Special Forces units have commercial phone numbers that any one could call to check an employees story or verify their membership in a unit.

This assclown was greedy and got caught trying to get two big paychecks all the while throwing in the "Special Forces-Secret mission" sexy warrior crap to make himself look good.

Somedic sends.

I believe that if you pretend to be in the military or anything such, should be thrown in jail, lets make is federal pound me in the ass prison. Or be forced to do what these REAL MEN do every day of their life. Make them do their agility tests, make them go on their runs, make them stay awake for days on end, endless marching, little to no food, sips of water.... let them feel what its really like to be one of the proud.... then have these REAL MEN, kick them in the balls.

Disgusting really. This kind of thing occurs in the Reserve, National Guard, and active military as well. In fact, these soldiers are actively being prosecuted through the military. I am not sure if this applies to civilians however.

Aside from the total lack of respect for the members of our military special operations community, this really demonstrates just how little self esteem and respect these people have. A normal person is proud of their job regardless of what they do, and strive to perform their duties to the best of their abilities. The interloping imposters; however, have no self respect or respect for what they do, so they fabricate stories of grandeur to fill their hollow lives with some kind of sustenance. This seems to have allot in common with the "wacker" mentality we often encounter in the EMS community. :-k

Take care,

chbare.

I agree with what you are saying but this whole thing is married in to greed as well. If he was a contractor he made good money and probably drew a payc hech from his civilian job as well. The Fake, phony hero crap is all bad but it was just icing on the cake for him.

Somedic Sends

I agree anyone that lies about being in the Military is just a lowlife asswipe. There are families without their loved ones that are really over there fighting this war that would love to have their families home with them. Then someone does some stupid crap like this. What ever happened to being honest and straight forward? Why lie cause eventually lies are exposed and the truth comes out. What is wrong with the world we live in today?

My vent on this subject.

Terri

I don't think it was just about double-dipping. Although I think that was probably a part of it, I think that this person is generally such a warped individual that in order to feel good about himself, he had to make up stories about what he was doing in his life to make himself feel better....

Perhaps he suffers from some genetic abherration in which he has no conscience and does not realize that his actions only make him look foolish in the long run... or maybe he is just an incredible jerk who needs to make up lies to feel better about himself.

Unfortunately, the one bad apple analogy applies.... we don't hear enough stories about the men and women who risk their lives every day, and the families and friends who support them....

I agree with Aaron though - let the REAL MEN and WOMEN each get 10 minutes with this lump..... and maybe they can teach him respect for those who serve, and respect for others.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.