Help getting into Oil and Gas

Marksman

I'm need some help. I'm looking to get into the Oil and Gas industry in BC as a first aid attendant. I'm looking for companys to submit my resume to primarily. Also any information you think might be useful as well you be great. Thanks a lot. I appreciate any assistance you can render.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother works for these guys.

Firepower

I believe they are based out of Red Deer or surrounding area.

They do fire and EMS coverage at the EMR and EMT level.

They seem to pay alright, and I haven't heard any complaints about the company.

In all honesty it is because I can make good money doing it. It will give me a good base from which I can pay for higher levels of training and perhaps more formal post-secondary education, Also I'm trying to make it to australia for the end of the year. These are in addition to the fact that I love the job. I like to help people which is what originally drew me to paramedicine/first aid. Also I have a bit of training in that industry already. I'm finding it diffcult to make my break though.

These are in addition to the fact that I love the job. I like to help people which is what originally drew me to paramedicine/first aid. Also I have a bit of training in that industry already. I'm finding it diffcult to make my break though.

"The job" isn't what you think it is. It is NOT EMS, or anything like EMS. If you are in it because you love it and like to help people, you're going to hate the oilfields. But if you are willing to be miserable for a year in order to rack up some savings, then go for it. But remember, there is a reason they pay so well. :D

"The job" isn't what you think it is. It is NOT EMS, or anything like EMS. If you are in it because you love it and like to help people, you're going to hate the oilfields. But if you are willing to be miserable for a year in order to rack up some savings, then go for it. But remember, there is a reason they pay so well. :(

Dustdevil nailed this one on the head. Been there done that and hated every minute of it. I'm talking weeks on end without so much as passing out a bandaid. Just sit there in the truck waiting for something to happen. If your male the guys resent you because your sitting in the warm truck and there out working. Nothing you can do about that either because you aren't allowed to do anything else save go and pick up lunch. If your female be extremely careful not to be found in a position that could be construed as improper. Also forget about civil conversation for the most part. Many of these guys work out in the middle of nowhere because they have zero social skills and couldn't make a decent wage doing anything else.

If it's still what you want to do at least you can go into it with your eyes open to what it is now. The money is good so I would suggest getting in and getting out as soon as you reach your monetary goal. Don't hang around past that point because many medics end up stuck there that way when they arrange there finances around the pay-scale.

When I have seen ads for medical coverage in an oilfield, it seems that they were in Saudi Arabia, or some other middle Eastern country.

I have never worked an oilfield, at home (USA) or away (the rest of the world), so I am unqualified to answer this question, so I'll ask it of those who have worked internationally: What about working somewhere "offshore" or internationally?

As to "the job" it's not all that diffrent from what I am doing right now. I sit in an ambulance doing first aid stand by, mostly at a speedway. A lot of the time it is sitting around for 6hrs at a time, bored out of my skull. I'm used to it and know how to cope. I love EMS. And the more EMS/first aid related experiance I have the better. Even if it turns out to be sitting in a pickup reading anything I can get my hands on.

I have financial goals in mind and also something of a deadline, though if I miss it. It just means I can stick around for a little while longer until the next one comes a couple months later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.