Burn Out

poormedic

Burn out can happen to all medics. I should know. I have spent the last 2 years with time off. Look around you do you see a friend in need? do you have a co worker who is acting out side the norm? BUrn out can happen at any stage in the game: it doesn't just strike veterans. Some tips that will help is have a hobby, make freinds out side of your department, find something that relaxes you. Most important take time for you and your family. We all know this is difficult with low pay you tend to work overtime but ask your self is it worth it believe me its not. There are people who can help talk to them they are not hard to find. This is a serious problem in EMS to little of of to go around.

I agree, burnout is what put me out about 7 years ago. Most guys take the belief that you can't show emotion, you shouldn't need to "talk about" how you feel, you should be tough enough to handle it or this job isn't for you. I am in a stressful job now but have a group of people around me that I can talk to and be open about how I feel and what is causing my stress. If anyone ever tells you to "suck it up and deal with it", they are probably one of they people that don't know how to deal with stress and probably close to burnout. We all need people we can talk to and be open and honest. Once things are brought out in the open, they no longer have control of us.

Food for thought,

Paul

Poormedic

I hope things work out for you.

I am wondering how many services provide counseling services for their employees. In BC we have access to counseling on a confidential basis, I believe this is something that all emergency services should provide for their employees.

I totally understand burnout and I would like to think I have a pretty good graspe on how to handle it. I worked in Law Enforcement and Corrections for 15 years, 11 of that in a Supermax Federal Prison. I have learned that you have to learn to seperate yourself from your work. You cant allow your work to define who you are. This work is what we do it is not who we are. Also physical exercise is very important. Friends outside of work is important too. Because if you hang out with EMS friends then all you end up doing is talking and rehashing calls. Not good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.