Instructors Staying Current

Dustdevil

If your paramedic instructor has 25 years of experience, but it was all with LifePak 5s and 10s, is he going to be a good 12-lead instructor?

As others have mentioned, there are some things that aren't going to change. Anatomy, physiology, starting an IV, etc. Even most of the major pharm is pretty much boilerplate. But, say, Amiodarone is a recent development. What good is listening to this guy talk about how Amio is going to affect your patient and what to watch out for if the last anti-arrhythmic he used was Bretylium?

Teaching skills is one thing. But EMS concepts and patient management ideas are always changing. Yes, most of that comes in the clinical phase, but I think it has an important part in the didactic- important enough that I feel it shouldn't be left to desk jockeys.

One has to remember, that even using LP 5, 10's, etc.. is not a bad thing. Chances are, if they were really good medics they used multi lead and actually probably could teach better XII lead than those whom can push one button. As well, again it does not take much review current trends.

Do you think that because one operates in the back of a unit, that makes them automatically "up to date"? Just because one has not drawn up Amiadirone and injected, does not mean one cannot understand it nor teach it. Do you actually think Cardiologist actually administer the medications, or perform cardioversion, defibrillations or a trauma surgeon actually bandages the wound? So that would make them poor instructors?

Medicine is medicine... period. Riding on a unit, in the ER, or teaching. Keeping up is part of the professional requirement. Just because one is active in clinical practice does automatically make one "proficient".

R/r 911

Do you actually think Cardiologist actually administer the medications, or perform cardioversion, defibrillations or a trauma surgeon actually bandages the wound

Don't be stupid, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that your cardiologist has WATCHED Amiodarone work on multiple patients in various conditions. I don't care who pushes the plunger. I care that the provider teaching others knows what happens next in a variety of situations.

I think that is is important for instructors to stay current in the field, especially so that they can relate real world anecdotes to the class.

Having said that I don't think they have to ride the medic unit every day, but once a week or so would be nice.

That being said, I have had several "instructors " that were cookbook medics and didnt know the first thing about the way things really shake out on the street.

I don't think it is the least bit important for a classroom didactic instructor to have recent field experience. The scientific foundation of medicine is not something that is practised. It is factual and theoretical knowledge that is learned the same way it is taught, through current research.

I have seen too many cases where working medics thought their "experience" was enough to make them qualified teachers, and it was not. War stories and personal anecdotes about watching amiodarone work will never take the place of a biochemical and physiological understanding of the pharmacology of amiodarone. All medics will eventually get that experience. But if they don't get that scientific education in school, they will probably never get it. And that is why EMS remains a stagnant shit hole.

Similarly, it seems like a great many schools utilise their new grads, who think it would be cool to be an instructor, to teach and assist with skills instruction. If there is somebody that needs relevant, recent field experience -- and lots of it -- it is the skills instructor.

Again, EMS seems to have its priorities all turned around.

Similarly, it seems like a great many schools utilise their new grads, who think it would be cool to be an instructor, to teach and assist with skills instruction. If there is somebody that needs relevant, recent field experience -- and lots of it -- it is the skills instructor.

Again, EMS seems to have its priorities all turned around.

Just last night after yet another test :lol: , our instructor asked if we wanted to assist the EMT-B instructor with her CPR instruction. We as a group agreed that since the majority of the class had been CPR certified for at least 2 years, we might be able to help. We were wrong of course since the current class except for a few knows it all already :roll: . To think I wasted 2 years in medic school :lol: .

Since the class is quite large, approximately 40 students, we broke into groups and observed these world class basics-to-be. After some pointers from us they seemed to get the hang of it. They were shocked however to find out just 2 cycles of CPR wasn't going to cut the mustard with us :wink: . As in " Keep going, were only half way to the hospital!" :twisted:

Do I think I'm ready to educate? No. but I don't mind assisting with Basic skills.

• 3 weeks later...

As long as the instructors stay current in their respective knowledge base then there in no reason for the instructor to be put out to pasture.

If the instructor does not know the 12 lead then if they are worth their salt then they will bring in a instructor who knows 12 leads.

If they are rusty on the new drugs then they learn them or they get a pharmacist to come in and teach the class.

If the instructor is teaching 12 leads and they haven't ever used them, have not ever worked with the modality then they have no business teaching that part of the class.

A good instructor will understand their limitations and adapt or they will bring in someone who can augment the info.

My paramedic instructor was a paramedic out of the field for 10 years and a police officer and I consider him one of the best instructors I've ever had. He knew what he knew and what he didn't know he brought in someone who did.

Someone with 25 years of experience has plenty to give to the students and the patient care scenarios should be worth the price of admission alone.