Instructors Staying Current

Dustdevil

Okay, so like I stumbled across this discussion at another forum that contains this quote:

My lead instructor has "25 years" of EMS experience, but hasn't been active in over 10. What current real world training can she pass down to us??? We need a system that is up to date with REAL knowledge. We can read our books all we want, but we won't really "learn" anything unless we have people dedicated to teaching us current things. Instead, to often it happens that we get brushed under the rug.

I'm curious what you guys think about "futurechief1's" theory that once an instructor leaves the field, he is no longer qualified to impart relevant wisdom to the students. Any validity to this? If so, what do we do about it? Is this even what a classroom instructor (at the paramedic level) should be doing, or is this something that is more the realm of clinical/internship coordinators and preceptors?

If a instructor has 25 years of EMS experience, surely they have something to offer. I believe as long as an instructor keeps their education level current ie: new procedures, medications etc., and keeps their credentials current, again, having to board with the medical director in the county in which they function, they should be quite capable of educating the next crop of medics.

We as an industry have to use some of the experiences and wisdom our veteran medics have to offer. There has to be a place for people who want to get off the ambulance but still have so much to offer students.

Great thread. I had an instructor who had been off the road for a while but had many years of experience. They definitely still have a lot to teach because they at least have real life experience that students don't. The basics do not seem to change significantly so I think that an instructor like this is just fine for teaching the basics of assessment, lifting, etc. The problem comes (and this problem did come up for me) when an instructor who has not kept up to date is in a position to teach something that changes from time to time (neonatal resus for us) and is not up to date. This was extremely frustrating for me and was disappointed to see from a paramedic program with a good reputation overall.

So to answer the questions:

- I think there is some validity to it, but it all depends on if the instructor keeps up to date.

- A classroom instructor should definitely be up to date with current guidelines, but a lot of what will be taught in class will be book stuff anyway (referring specifically to the quoted comments). It seems like the poster of the quoted comments does not understand the importance of education and seems to just want to go play on the ambulance. If there is some operational aspect of how things work in the field with the ambulance services in the area of the school that the instructor does not know I would not fault them for that though. That is the type of thing that can be left for a preceptorship.

If a instructor has 25 years of EMS experience, surely they have something to offer. I believe as long as an instructor keeps their education level current ie: new procedures, medications etc., and keeps their credentials current, again, having to board with the medical director in the county in which they function, they should be quite capable of educating the next crop of medics.
MAST Pants and 15:2 CPR?

:D

In realitiy, how many college professors are still active in their fields? I know none of mine were with the exception of one pastor. That doesn't mean they are behind the times. The worst problem that come out of this is someone teaching new procedures who have not done them, which hopefully wouldn't be the case. I would expect a teacher out of the field to be using available resources to keep current on new procedures using available options such as clincials and cadaver labs.

No Brent, not those. :D

I agree with BEorP. The anatomy & physiology hasn't changed in 25 years and besides, you should know this already. That part of education hasn't changed. It is imperative that instructors keep current if they want to educate. The classroom and the preceptship/internship are two different arenas but you can't do one without the other. The classroom is the foundation for what you do in the field.

Futurecheif1 does not seem to want all that book learnin. It is college and you are supposed to learn on your own. Sure the classroom is important. However, if one is unwilling to take what you learn in the classroom environment and apply that to additional study at home, than we are our own worst enemy.

Good thing medicine does not believe one has to be in the trenches! Observe most medical professors and note when the last time they were responsible for direct patient care? Even some states require nursing instructors mandate clinical performance, but there is no exact time requirements.

I agree, it would be nice, but not essential to maintain some clinical performance. Yes, they should be up to date on current studies, research and approved treatment modalities. However; if the person has twenty plus years appropriate experience, then one can learn new methodologies in treatment in a few hours. EMS is not rocket science...

I much rather that they would increase their knowledge in adult education, to be able to really know how to teach, not just instruct.

If your paramedic instructor has 25 years of experience, but it was all with LifePak 5s and 10s, is he going to be a good 12-lead instructor?

As others have mentioned, there are some things that aren't going to change. Anatomy, physiology, starting an IV, etc. Even most of the major pharm is pretty much boilerplate. But, say, Amiodarone is a recent development. What good is listening to this guy talk about how Amio is going to affect your patient and what to watch out for if the last anti-arrhythmic he used was Bretylium?

Teaching skills is one thing. But EMS concepts and patient management ideas are always changing. Yes, most of that comes in the clinical phase, but I think it has an important part in the didactic- important enough that I feel it shouldn't be left to desk jockeys.

When I went to MSOE the most sought after professors were the ones who were still actively working outside the school. A couple were even the ones who wrote the books we were using. Even still there were students who claimed the professor "didn't know what he was talking about". If someone wants to find a reason not to believe their instructor (read: excuse not to listen to), they'll find one.

Yes, it would be nice for the instructor to still be working in the field to keep up on new drugs, procedures, etc. to keep his knowledge base current. However, I think the biggest thing this does is make the students feel like he's a little more at their level therefore more approachable. I'll take an instructor with 25 years of experience that's 10 years old and wants to teach over one with 5 years of current experience and a god complex anyday.