Interested in becoming a Paramedic in So. Cal.

BigMike80

TheOldGuy,  I disagree to a point.  I don't see the need for getting experience first as a emt.  I never have understood why we tell people to be an EMT first when we aren't telling the same thing to nurses and doctors and fire fighters as well. 

You don't tell a doctor to get experience as a nurse first do you?  You don't tell a nurse to get experience as a CNA or a LPN first do you?  You don't tell a firefighter to get experience outside of something else first.  So why are we telling people to get experience as an EMT first?  The only reason why we are telling people to get experience as an EMT first before they go on to get their medic is because you have to get your EMT first before you can get your medic.  Sure there are pre-requisites to get in to nursing school or med school but it's education based not experience based. 

I think they should do away with EMT altogether and just have a Medic licensure or at least have two tracks, an EMT track for those who just want to be firefighters and that's all they want to be and then a Medic track for those who want to be a paramedic.  this would allow those who don't want to waste their time with a EMT class when they know they are going to go on to a paramedic program.  But this will never happen because of the status quo in education and certification and too many sticks in the mud.  

But the experience gained by working in the field as an EMT to me is limited based on the service you work for.  If you work for a service top heavy with medics, then EMT's would be hard pressed to get any valuable experience at all other than to be a "ambulance driver" or if you work for a transfer service, well that speaks for itself.  The most valuable experience an EMT can gain is to be partnered up with a strong knowledgeable Medic partner who understands the value of a good EMT and is there to nurture and grow that EMT partner and that medic involves that EMT in all facets of patient care and even allows them to attend at times.  That's the type of experience that is the most valuable.  

But if the only experience an EMT is getting is driving and an occasional set of vitals, then I say that experience is just worthless.  Anyone and their mother can drive and take vitals.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.