How would you treat this patient?

itku2er

call for a helicopter and await their arrival

Medvac cant fly due to the fog at the base.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much does she weigh? Unless she is huge then we are carrying her out. We don’t have any fancy shmancy ATVs here anyway. The pole stretcher would work well. If she is huge we can always use the good ol' rolling sticks placed under the pt or perhaps a hard stretcher type scoop or something. Al far as the snake goes how do you know she was bitten and it isn't an open fracture? This woman may be the unluckiest person in the world. Maybe we should just leave her there to die so that she doesn't have to suffer anymore.

immobilize spinal..O2 monitor IV with fluid to maintain BP, light turniquette to delay toxin spread, pain relief, stabilize with standard measures of #, anticipate possible spont- abortion and carry till meet appropriate transport, co-ordinate fire crews to carry and keep contact with patient and monitor.

scene safety, abcs'. oxygen rapid physical assessment, while someone else holds c-spine, treat as a trauma pt. collar, do amore detailed physcial exam, have someone start vss after you clear proper extremities, splint the leg, place her on a lbb, assure proper safety restraints, then have a bunch of guys from the fd, start to carry her down until you get to the rig, or to a rendezvous with an ATV.

of course with her being pregnant since she fell, you would probably want to remove clothes (cover her with a sheet, coat, etc) check for any bleeding or deformities that could show signs of her losing the baby. just my opinion.

Also since im just bls, i would get als en route. along with having pd(if they are on scene) take the dead snake to the hospital so that the drs can confirm and start treatment

Conservative treatment of copperhead snakebites without antivenin.

Polyvalent antivenin remains the most recommended treatment of crotalid envenomation, including copperhead snakebites. Because of the significant morbidity associated with antivenin therapy, some have proposed conservative therapy for less serious envenomations. Few if any studies have separated the treatment of the less serious copperhead bite from the more serious bite of a rattlesnake or a water moccasin. Fifty-five patients, including 12 children, with copperhead bites were treated over a 12-year period. All 55 patients were successfully treated conservatively without antivenin. Conservative treatment resulted in no deaths, limb loss, or residual disability. The mean hospital stay was 2.15 days compared with 3.9 days in patients with systemic symptoms. These data support a conservative approach to most copperhead envenomations and suggest that the treatment for copperhead bites should be segregated from the more serious rattlesnake and water moccasin snakebites.

Get off the anti venom horse. I think it would do more harm to the mother and child. There is no need to air flight either. Effective pain management is what this woman needs with antibiotic treatment in the hospitial for the area of the bite.

Good point brent This was an actual call a freind of mine had over the weekend I spent 5 hours on the phone with him talking about this when all was said and done. I thought it would make a good senerio here when you all want i will tell you the ending.

But you all are forgetting one imporant basic thing here.

Ham she was 225 pounds apx

her weight would not have made any difference, she still has to be extracted, with the firecrew assisting form one end and vehicle making way from another just carry her out, many hands make light work, no point screwing around achieving nothing, get her to definitive care.

Right JM weight didnt matter accept to her husband who couldnt carry her out on his own.

in my opinion its the carry out that is the problem and not treatment, most of the treatment is basic skills except IV and pain relief, and even that is a basic skill in some areas, good scenario, how did it work out in the end.

as i stated at the start of the post this is my opinion.