• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here is something some people may relate to. I wanted to do this since I was 25 and am now 47. Last year I passed National 1st try, challenged FL, lost and had to retake Floridas test. I failed. I took another class as a refresher because I did not want to have to take it again. I passed. So I am Nationally certified and State certified EMT-B

For me it wasn't because of not being dedicated enough, not knowing how to study or laziness. A near drowning when I was 9 did some damage from black of oxygen so long they told my parents I would be mentally retarded or have sever brain damage.

Neither one of those, and I have to study 3 times more than the average person.

For me it seemed difficult ad times.

I struggled long and hard to get this far and my advice to those who fail is don't give up. If you really want to work as an EMT then stick with it.

Good luck

-Terri

:shock:

Ya know... despite how often people refer to this guy's blog here, I have always blown off any urge to go check it out. Franky, I was turned off by the name. I figured it was just another wanker -- albeit a well spoken wanker -- thrilling EMT-wannaB's with his tales of daring-do that would just put me, or anybody else with experience, to sleep. I was wrong. I think I am in love.

All I can tell you is study and don't give up! I am an EMT-I and have been through the practical and written tests twice now and it is definitely a stressful time. But get plenty of rest, eat before the exam, and be confident in your skills and knowledge. You'll get it... if you set your mind to it you can accomplish anything. Good Luck!

I have seen, and taught many Basic courses. Usually, the ones that fail, are either swamped by family issues at home, or are too busy playing water squirter and telling war stories assuming they already know everything. Dust, makes the point very clear. Anyone here simply wants the "best" a person has to offer. A medic can tell when a person is truly dedicated. It takes about 30 seconds to size them up. I hope all students can pass, no matter how many times it takes, if and only if they have something to offer to our profession besides simply carrying a card, and wearing a stupid EMT t-shirt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.