families

Unfortunately Brentoli in BC if you want to go full time you have to go through the part-time BS first. Usually people make it to what's referred to as "part-time full-time" within a decent amount of time which basically means you work enough you make or come close to full time pay however you still don't get full-time benefits.

BC is one of those places where getting started is difficult but once your there it's one of the best places to be. Full time includes a good benefit package, pension plan, and some of the best pay rates in Canada. Typically full-timers work a 4x4 (4 days 12 hour shifts and 4 days off) so you average 42 hours a week.

One way to fast-track going full time is if you are able to get into dispatch. You can enter dispatch at any point provided there is an opening and all dispatch positions are automatically full time. Once you go dispatch your locked in for at least three years. Dispatch shifts are 4x6 (4 days 12 hour shifts and 6 days off) but the rates are a little higher to make up for the lesser hours. You still need to maintain your license in dispatch though so you end up working some extra shifts on car to do that.

how does this profession effect our families

Hmmm.... that's a good question. From a family member I think there's been some positives and negatives I've noticed.

Negatives

*Sort of like the mechanic who doesn't work on his own car, I've seen that some times if one of our kids is hurt and it's not "life threatening" then the compassion isn't quite the same.

*His sleep pattern is screwed up for his days off - which can sometimes make for him being a little snippy

*Family members automatically assume he should have the answer to every medical problem they may be experiencing at any given moment.

Positives

*Our boys and I are so incredibly proud of him. The boys love to say, "Well, my dad saves lives!"

*He's home after school for the kids while I'm working.

*He usually has a pretty good "generic" answer to the family members!

One other thing that I've really noticed is that I can't relate to what he feels when he's had a bad run. (Define "bad" however you interpret it.) I'm not always sure how he's feeling emotionally about what he's had to deal with. I let him talk and hopefully that helps.

In turn, I know he's proud of me and what I do. But I sometimes don't think he understands the magnitude of some of the issues I deal with at work. No, I'm not saving lives, but my job is important for the company in which I work. My "bad" days in comparison would be like his days that if every run were BLS and every patient died. Or if the patient didn't die, he was darn close - and no one ever told you that he didn't. I know that's not a "fair" comparison per se, but it's the best I can do.

It's a balancing act, for sure. I know for our family, it's been a good move. He's much happier than in his previous job. He knows and feels that he makes a difference every single day he works. Happiness goes a long way!

[align=justify:2a69ef5314]My hubby has worked EMS with a 24 on 48 off schedule since before we married 20 + years ago. He loves it and because I also did shift work in law enforcement - monthly rotations with different shifts and days off - I understood what I was getting into. It has advantages and disadvantages like any other job. I am a single mom for 24 hours at a time, but our family has never done it any other way, so it isn't an issue. He has a lot more time off with our kids than many parents and that has been great. His alternative schedule also allows him to be more of a help around the house. I now work a more traditional schedule, more or less full time and his help is definitely needed and appreciated. My schedule actually affects our family time more than his does.

You really need to plan ahead for the family and for yourselves as a couple. Make dates and plan family time that you both agree won't be interrupted by EMS or anything else. We have to select our vacation times up to a year in advance for his job. I have most of the summer off. We ski as a family in the winter and are both going to be on the ski patrol this year (he goes to my OEC classes with me as time allows - not exactly a date, but time to ourselves at least!) EMS is part of your life, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy the other parts too.[/align:2a69ef5314] [/font:2a69ef5314] :wink:

• 3 months later...

Goodness I must have been the epitomy of opposites here.

EMS never really affected my family life. My shifts were 3 days on 4 days off, 4 days on 3 days off.

Family is the most important thing to me so I do not let it affect family. Of course I take stuff home but I don't let it affect family.

you don't have to let it bother or affect your family life either. You are putting your family life in jeopardy and you alone. You can say, no I won't work that extra shift or no I won't take a call shift. No one forces you to do any of that.

It never affected my family life, and it never will nor will I allow it to do so.

You just have to have your priorities straight.

You know what I see most is new people in the field who think that the ambulance service is going to shut down if they don't work that extra shift. They feel that they are going to save the world and that work is the only thing worthy in their life.

In my current job as a consultant I see this all the time with a competetor company. They require them to work a minimum of 45-50 hours per week while on salary. The mindset of these people who work for this company is that the company comes first. Sorry it doesn't. Many of those people who are pulling all those hours are not married or if they are they are unhappy and some of them gravitate to affairs and drinking heavily.

You control your own destiny not the other way around and if you think that you have to take that extra shift then take it but remember that you had that choice not to work it.

I think we are our own worst enemies, to be in this field y ou have to have a caring heart and a mindset that you are making a difference. Remember back when you just started out, I can remember this time. I thought that I was the bees knees and that I had to work those shifts because if I didn't people would not get the help they needed all to the detriment of my mental and physical health.

Remember that the world will not stop needing ems if you don't take that extra shift. Remember that those calling 911 will get the ambulance they need if or if you are not working that day.

You have to have a work-life balance and one way to do that is to take the days off you are given and do what they are meant to be used for - days off doing stuff for you and not for patients.

I won't change any minds in this post but maybe someone, just someone might take them to heart and think that their health and mental well being are better served by taking the day off rather than covering an extra shift.

be safe.

I won't change any minds in this post but maybe someone, just someone might take them to heart and think that their health and mental well being are better served by taking the day off rather than covering an extra shift.

Yeah, the supervisors always plead with you about taking that shift for them, like it is SO important, and they can't run the service without you, and they will REALLY appreciate you for it. They don't. It doesn't build you any equity with them. They just take you for granted. Next time you do something they don't like, they forget all about the times you saved their arses by working a double or triple. Other than the OT, you get nothing out of the deal. It ain't worth it. Especially if this is just a hobby for you.

How has this Field affected my life?

Ha-- you really don't want to know.

Fortunatly for me I have the ability to work in a very rural setting, a small town and I make an elite amount of money for a single mom of 3 and the benifites are better than adverage for where I live. I work 3 12's for a 36 hour week and that is full time for me. I am able to provide for my family and be mommy at the same time. We get all the overtime we want- pretty much so I can still work 4 12's be at home every night, and get 3 days off, with great pay!!

HOWEVER-- the EMS field period was very detrimental on my relationship with the father of my children. As he was a very jealouse man I watched as 15 years of relationship wasted away into a vast nothingness. 12 years of marriage gone because a narrow minded closed off self centered person who didn't understand how one could care about strangers and give of themselves... An extremly Jealouse person who couldn't understand the comraderie of the EMS crews.......

One thing I learned-- be who you are and don't ever let anybody stand in your way of it. Being a stay at home mom I was going nuts and stir crazy but I was also living a sheltered life hidden away from the world I loved to be a part of. I choose a job that allowed me the best of both worlds. I can still be mommy and be apart of EMS. I thought I did a good job ballancing it all- but I guess I was wrong. Very wrong indeed.

So My resolve? To hell with he who is demanding and controllng - roll with it or check out!

I have been with my job 3+ years and I am looking forward to many more! I would love to work the field someday but that is on hold for the sake of my preciouse babies... Some day I will but just not now-- gotta prioritize!!!!!! I will be content to answer the phone lines and radio's for the flight crews laying it all on the line.......

The job is what i do, it's not what i am. I am a dad. And with the 24 on 48 off rotation for me thats 20 whole days smiles, kisses and hugs, in addition to laundry dishes and cleaning but thats alright too. I agree that the underlying question is "where are your priorities?" There has to be a pretty compelling reason for me to trade story time for pcr's!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.