Amber Lights on Apparatus

brentoli

Do you run amber lights when ever your EMS fly car is in motion?  

10 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • We run all lights all the time.
    • Wanker.

This makes me laugh....

Firehouse forums about amber lights on apparatus.

People are advocating amber lights running on the back of a fire truck when ever it is motion. Just to be safe.

Why don't we have amber lights on 18-wheelers. Why don't we have lights on the back of UPS trucks.

I think we could turn this into a good discussion?

Another thing to desensitize the public to warning lights. Up in our area, everyone from the Cable Provider, to the landscaper has amber front facing lights and rear amber and red strobes / leds. Many have front white strobes in their directionals or headlights and drive around with them on.

The local tow trucks have more lights on them than the ambulances do. Cops don't care unless you have a blue light showing, even if it from your blue-tooth phone on your dash.

LOL!

Back in the early 80's, some wanker wrote a handbook for volunteer fire chiefs actually advocating that they go EVERYWHERE with their sirens on because hearing them would keep the VFD in the public's mind.

Pretty sure he was a New Yorker. :roll:

lol it’s any wonder why you guys are always complaining about lack of respect towards emergency services over there… :roll: You earn the name of ‘tanker wanker’ if you do anything like that here.

Until the advent of 2 way radios, I am told the FDNY used to go to calls, and RETURN from calls, L&S. The way was, they couldn't be reached to be advised of another call while on the road, when away from the firehouse.

Obviously, FDNY doesn't do that anymore, and I don't think anyone does, or shouldn't.

As for having the L&S on all the time, it most likely would keep the service in the public's eye and mind: "Why is that bastid driving that blankety blank department vehicle got that freaking noise on for THIS time?"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.