Help me convert Ruraltown EMS from volly to paid.

spenac

Bravo to all who strive to put an end to the practice that is destroying our profession. There is no justification to have a volunteer service.

I disagree with you about there being no justification for a volunteer service. In my area, if there werent volunteer agencies, over 3/4 of the county would have to wait over an hour for ambulance service. Both paid and volunteer serve their purposes. I work for a combined service. It wouldnt work in every area, just like volunteers wouldnt work in every area. The volunteers I work with are VERY professional, in their performance and their appearance. Professionalism is not exclusive to paid services.

Its nice to know things like this can be discussed on websites like this.

I disagree with you about there being no justification for a volunteer service. In my area, if there werent volunteer agencies, over 3/4 of the county would have to wait over an hour for ambulance service. Both paid and volunteer serve their purposes. I work for a combined service. It wouldnt work in every area, just like volunteers wouldnt work in every area. The volunteers I work with are VERY professional, in their performance and their appearance. Professionalism is not exclusive to paid services.

Its nice to know things like this can be discussed on websites like this.

Well I disagree with you. If a community/county/etc can support a volly system with equipment and supplys it can find a way to have paid professionals. I have seen areas claiming they cannot afford to pay EMS yet throw big holiday celebrations, etc, that money could be used to support EMS. The only reason they do not go paid is they know that some people have no pride for the profession and will do it for free.

The volly agency supports itself by run income, nothing from the county. They also have a community membership annual fundraising. the average income in the assigned service area is less the $10,000 per household.

I think its ok we disagree, as long as we understand what we are disagreeing about.

The volly agency supports itself by run income, nothing from the county. They also have a community membership annual fundraising. the average income in the assigned service area is less the $10,000 per household.

I think its ok we disagree, as long as we understand what we are disagreeing about.

My current primary is in an area with less income than that and we are paid, yes we operate with a big deficit, but the city finds a way. I doubt any 911 only service even breaks even. Again it just takes effort on your part to force the issue. The area can support paid. Honestly if most have that little income most of your patients will have some sort of health coverage. Please do not try and justify volunteer EMS with the they can't pay speech it don't fly. I to was a volly once and I after looking closer found so much waste by that county that could have been put into EMS I could not bring myself to respond with them.

There has been some talk in our county for a "user fee" to support EMS. So far, its just talk. The county does not operate the volly agencies. They are private not for profit organizations. This specific agency has 50-60 transports a year. The annual GROSS run income is approx $47,000.00 annually with a collection rate of 67%(national average is 51% according to JEMS) brings NET run income to $32,000.00. With insurance costs (Workers Comp and Liability) roughly $7,000.00 annually and fuel $4,000.00, supplies $4,000.00, rent $2,400.00 that leaves roughly $14,600.00 for the remaining improvements and set aside money to fund the replacement costs and operating costs if income should fall short.

Simply put, there is no easy answer.

Once again, I believe the emphasis needs to be on professionalism in EMS. There is no place for unprofessionalism in a paid or volly agency.

That is where the problem lies.

Apparently, you do not understand what we are disagreeing about.

And yes, it has been discussed here. To death. Read some previous discussions for an understanding of why you are in for a beat-down.

That is where the problem lies.

Apparently, you do not understand what we are disagreeing about.

And yes, it has been discussed here. To death. Read some previous discussions for an understanding of why you are in for a beat-down.

The whole idea about agreeing to disagree is RESPECT.

I didnt come to this forum to get a "beat-down".

I came here to share ideas, thoughts, concepts and share perspectives.

I knew coming in here I would not agree with everything being said by every post. I am not here to convince anyone that I know everything there is to know about EMS and everything I have to say is the way it has to be, otherwise it is wrong.

I know I am coming in on the middle of a conversation. I first came to this website a couple of years ago and this same conversation was going on back then.

This is also a constant topic of discussion in our agency, Im not a newcomer to the topic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.