Help me convert Ruraltown EMS from volly to paid.

spenac

You can always move, so you don't have to worry about it.

Guess could take the easy way and ruraltown would keep on as vollys and in turn allow it to keep dragging everyones wages down.

OK we'll make our own site, but many of our older people don't use internet.

What about starting a paid on-call service. A service I used to work for (call volume around 275) paid $4.50/hr on call based on 24hr shifts. Responce time to hall was max 8 min. Then when a call came in we got 19/hr EMT and around 24/hr Paramedic. This way you can still set education standards and carry on another job if you like.

I used to take Mon-Fri 24hr/ day. ended up with calls around $2500/mon and I had time to carry on another part time job.

The vollunteering has to stop, kudos on your efforts.

Just a thought.

Mobey

Put stickers on boxes of Arthritis cream and pet food... :lol:

(to get to the old ppl)

LMAO!

Yeah, get you an apron like the grocery clerks wear, and one of those price tag guns. Load it up with pre-printed stickers and walk up and down the aisles tagging your message on all the products in the store. Nobody will suspect a thing!

That's genius! :lol:

You want good PR ?

1: This idea worked for a show a long time ago that I was involved with...so all of the vollies get a grant to become CPR constructors, then get one big ass sign on the Station offering FREE CPR courses......to all local taxpayers.

You NOW have a means to contact those that VOTE in your community, with 1 call a day your laughing, word of mouth is the fastest way to spread the news in small town (wherever)

1a Post all the letters of thanks from your patients in the local rag... have them do it, the paper can't turn that down.

2: You do have a 2 party system there ? Someone get VOTED IN to council as is it not the duty of the elected officials to provide care, for the community at large?

Oh yea talk in terms of a monthy.... (not $200 per house additional tax per year) try $16.66 a Month, or even divide that by the number of actual people in your community per day....following here ?) hell's bells I drink more milk than that in a month put in terms that the locals understand.

2a: Just threats of withdrawl of services is huge media to get YOUR story told.

3: Or get a job as Walmart greeter with those little stickers !

cheers good luck, but you will win in the long run.

Yanno how to piss off a grocery clerk?

Put a smudge of black marker over the UPC codes.. So they can't scan them. I used to do that when I worked at a store in High School.

Anyhoo.. Back to the topic.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to throw in that the location sounds familiar. We service about 3000 people, 4 towns (largest town pop. 900 people), 4 highways, 1 turnpike, cover half the county at 320sq mi, average call is two hours long and we have one truck. For this thrilling opportunity we get paid $60/24hr shift EMT-B and $80/24hr shift EMT-P. I will not argue that the pay rate you are going for is too much, on the contrary I wish ours was. But when you average only 30-35 calls a month, the revenue just isn't there. I forgot who it was that made a good point about threatening to not have the service. It wouldn't be to be mean, but it is a reality that they will have to face because your volunteers have to buy food and toilet paper too.

You could also consider a subscription program. We have one here that is $45 per year and helps bring in a lot of income for the service. Depending on your population, the odds would be in your favor that you would make money on the program and not lose it. Other than that and what everyone else said about newspapers and the like, I don't have any more ideas. Though I do applaud you for taking up the torch to try to move the service in a more positive direction for the residents and fellow volunteers. Good luck to you!

EXACTLY:

Yukon ambulance workers in Watson Lake and Dawson City are still waiting for a government response to their en masse resignations in July. The CBC (September 6) quoted Haines Junction practitioner Neale Wortley as saying providers have now compiled a list of demands to jump start the negotiation process. Wortley, who said he hoped discussions could begin in the next couple of weeks, said key to the outcome will be the establishment of some paid positions. Dawson Mayor John Steins echoed Wortley’s impatience, saying the use of interim paramedics to fill gaps is not working. Out of the loop when it comes to communication with Health Minister Brad Cathers, Steins said he is now writing the minister to force an update on the situation.

credit for this information goes to PNN Paramedic Network News

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.