AHA Heartsaver DVDs Question: CPR/AED vs First Aid CPR/AED

BoiledEgg

I recently bought the AHA Heartsaver First Aid DVD and it came with two discs. The first is labeled as FIRST AID and covers the core topics + environmental emergencies. The second is labeled as FIRST AID in big letters and under that in small letters is "CPR and AED". This second DVD basically covers CPR/AED.

I know that we can teach First Aid without the CPR/AED portions.

My question is for Heartsaver CPR or Heartsaver AED certifications by themselves (No First Aid). Do I really have to purchase separately the Heartsaver CPR DVD and Heartsaver AED DVD? Is there anything covered on those DVDs that isn't covered in the second Heartsaver First Aid disc that covers CPR/AED?

Thanks!

I know that we can teach First Aid without the CPR/AED portions.

Really? That's news to me!

I taught for the Red Cross for many years, and CPR was always an integral part of the First Aid curriculum that could not be separated unless they already had a valid CPR card. After all, a great many of the conditions you discuss in first aid include CPR or artificial respiration as part of the potential treatment.

Yes, this is not the Red Cross so I am unfamiliar with how they do their courses. This is the American Heart Association (AHA). For AHA, First Aid can be taught without CPR/AED. They are optional. The certification will indicate whether First Aid included CPR/AED.

Ooops! My mistake! :oops:

I misread and assumed you were talking about the Red Cross.

I didn't even know AHA had a first aid course. When did this happen?

Sounds like they are at war with the ARC. :?

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Ok, As an affiliate Faculty within Ohio. I can tell you this. All the classes I teach ans its allot. I only use the AHA Heartsaver AED. You can skip the AED portion if they don't want it. The DVD is exactly the same but just adds the AED. So its up to you. I push this class when I am out and about. Due to the use of AED's are becoming an industry standard. I hope this helps. RC