Emergency Vehicles & Red Light Cameras . . .

NickD

Depending on geographic area, due to obstructions, both stationary and other vehicles, an EV driver might not be able to see cross traffic until too late to stop.

As per my mantras, below, balance the need for the speed with a ride that's a glide!

Yes, there are some blind intersections where one must stop and creep to see if it is safe to proceed.

But we have wide open intersections where you can easily see no one is approaching.

I like most when all lanes are occupied with stopped vehicles blocking anyone behind, but am always expecting a motorcyclist or bicyclist moving between vehicles.

Also, I've had wide open intersections where I had to stop and creep because of vehicles, especially busses, trucks and semis obsuring view. But even a low sports car can be hidden by just regular automobiles.

A "double" city bus in lane 3 saw the EV and stopped. In his rearview mirror the driver could see vehicles proceeding at full speed towards their green signal.

(They probably thought the bus was stopped at a bus stop.)

I could tell the driver was expecting a big collision. But I slowed and stopped. The vehicles zoomed by at 35 mph and I crept to where I could see no other vehicles were coming.

But I had a officer follow me the other day and gave a ticket to a dummy that stopped in the middle of the road instead of pulling to the right. Awww gotta love it.

Aww, if only this happened more often. :twisted: So many tickets could be passed out to people don't know how to handle a big van thats lit up like a christmas tree with siren blaring.

Funny avatar, 007!

Aurora police used to do that alot.

I always felt guilty when they followed us and stopped motorists.

Hopefully just warnings.

But when I drove, no one was ever stopped.

To make the lights/EV more noticeable I would often positioned the EV to the left in lane 1, sometimes with my wheels on the lane line. (always depending on debris)

Drivers would often detect the EV earlier and because of my being so left, it would influence them to move right. If some started to clear to the left, I would go more left and they would see and move right. (usually)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I am not sure how the Deptartments of Transportation determine where to put these in every state, in mine, they tend to put them at major intersections that have long delays, where 3-4 cars will block an intersection (trying to turn left usually), and then turn after the light turns red, or remain in the middle of the intersection, blocking it for all others who just got the green. Other municipalities in the area, just flipped the sequence of the lights instead of red, green arrow left, green straight ahead and then yellow, to red -- they go red, green straight ahead, then yellow, then red, then left green arrow (accomplishes the same thing but does not produce revenue).

I usually go to the far left in the opposite lane (remember its a major intersection, usually with high concrete dividers or islands, and everyone ahead of you is stopped with nowhere to go, so why try to force them into an intersection where they are running a red-light ?

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION! @_@

5 years! Wow! Is that a new City record?

;-)

In all seriousness, shut'er down if you're stuck, and document it as a delay in your run report. Don't force anyone through a red light.

I have to say, in my area, I'm surprised as to who I think drives well going emergent. In order of increasing proficiency, we have local PD, local sheriff tied with local EMS provider, and the best drivers of all are actually the FD. (Shock, I know... but it's true.) My husband and several of our friends/acquaintances have almost been nailed by PD going code (usually without siren) on more than one occasion... PD *would* have been at fault in both of the near misses with my husband.

I hate driving emergent. Blech.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

Emergency Vehicles & Red Light Cameras . . .

Here's something I never considered before and the following piece makes the point. Basically it concerns the thinking that people would be afraid to move into an intersection, in order to yield to an emergency vehicle, where a red light camera is installed.

I don't think it would be too hard to correlate the time the emergency vehicle passed through the intersection to the time the ticket was issued, but a motorist's first thought would be to avoid the automatic $341 ticket (here in California.) So that doesn't solve the initial problem.

BTW, I'm just finishing up the clinical portion of a Phlebotomy class and I really enjoyed it. (Our class motto is, "We stick together . . .") :wink:

NickD :)

EMT-B

[web:57d9613353]http://laist.com/200...t_comment_r.php[/web:57d9613353]

Your driving L&S should not force anyone to move into an intersection against a red light. If you can't proceed safely through an intersection due to traffic then you need to shut down and wait for the stop light to change and traffic to move.

There are a few videos on YouTube that show ambulance drivers getting on someones butt and blaring the siren until the car essentially runs the red light. I consider this unnecessary and reckless.

L&S are to REQUEST the right of way. They are not a guarantee. It is YOUR job to drive with due regard when operating under L&S.

As a former cop myself, if I witnessed someone run a red light to allow an emergency vehicle to pass that driver would be getting a ticket for running a red light. If I saw an ambulance or other emergency vehicle driving L&S in an aggressive and unsafe manner, I would be waiting at the hospital for them and we would be having a discussion.

There are other alternatives out there such as Opticom which can preempt the traffic signals.

I would suggest reviewing your training and your state laws. I can guarantee that no State would allow an emergency vehicle to "force" a POV to run a red light. You would never find that being taught in EVOC or CEVO classes.

Worst case scenario, take the oncoming lanes which is what we do.

What would happen if someone pulled into an intersection and got t-boned? Now you would likely be taken out of service since you were a witness and a contributing factor. Another crew would have to be sent to your original call. Your ambulance would likely be held at the scene until the field investigation wraps. Lawsuits would likely come down. Your certification may be challenged by the state or your driving privelages revoked. All of this why? Because you were trying to save a few seconds and get to a call.

The saying is arrive alive, our response should not endanger the public either.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.