When to stop the efforts.

itku2er

Yeah... google worcester cold storage people! :shock:

Sad that crappy leadership allowed them to enter w/o proper equipment into an abandoned warehouse. 6 deaths for nothing, they were not even entering to rescue anyone.

In Worcester there were reports of homeless being in the building.

This job is dangerous, especially on the fire side. We all know the consequences when we get involved, we can take every precaution available to us and still fall victim.

As far as the miners, Its a tough call, but safety has to be of the utmost importance, we shouldn't be risking lives if it is in fact a recovery effort.

Does anyone know how long trapped miners have lived? Is it possible they could still be alive?

With the low O2 percentage (7-8%) at each drilled hole...hope is fading.

A look at mine accidents and the how long trapped miners survived until they were rescued, listed from the longest to the shortest span of time:

- January 1983: Two coal miners rescued after 23 days in northeast China.

- September 1982: Four South Korean coal miners rescued after 14 days.

- May 2006: Two miners rescued after being trapped for 14 days following a collapse at the Beaconsfield Gold Mine in Tasmania, Australia.

- November 2005: A coal miner in northern China rescued after 11 days.

- May 1968: Six miners rescued after ten days, in Hominy Falls, WVa.; days earlier, 15 miners had been rescued after five days.

- October 1958: 12 coal miners survive six days at Springhill, Nova Scotia.

- July 2002: Nine coal miners rescued after surviving eight days in a mine in northwestern China.

- July 1996: Three miners survived eight days trapped in a flooded mine in southern China, living off water that came up to their necks.

- May 1972: Two miners rescued after eight days in northern Idaho.

source:

http://kutv.com/local/local_story_225180829.html

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.