ACLS

1EMT-P

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experience, judgement, and knowledge of the medical literature. :D

Apart from that, I haven't heard of any condensed objective-based courses that mimic the course content. There is Advanced Medical Life Support class, but this is more like the "general approach to sick patients" class rather than the "how to run a code" class that ACLS has become.

'zilla

Sorry, they have the monopoly...

And not just your garden variety monopoly either. It appears to me that AHA has an international monopoly. Unless I am mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), even Canadia and Europia recognise AHA standards. Although, I would be interested in knowing if other countries are as anal about the whole "certification card" concept as we are in the U.S.

And not just your garden variety monopoly either. It appears to me that AHA has an international monopoly. Unless I am mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), even Canadia and Europia recognize AHA standards. Although, I would be interested in knowing if other countries are as anal about the whole "certification card" concept as we are in the U.S.

Can't speak for the other provinces but I know BC is all about having your EMA paramedic license not a series of little cards you can clutter up your wallet with. The truth of the matter is that you must be proficient with ACLS in order to make it through licensing. Sure you get to collect cards like when you renew your CPR-C every 2 years but everything is about maintaining your license. Also there is a license review process, minimum number of patient contacts and a minimum number of continuing medical education credits every year. If your found lacking in experience in a particular area when your patient contacts and con-ed credits are reviewed after 5 years you get to do another licensing exam or lose your license.

And not just your garden variety monopoly either. It appears to me that AHA has an international monopoly. Unless I am mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), even Canadia and Europia recognise AHA standards. Although, I would be interested in knowing if other countries are as anal about the whole "certification card" concept as we are in the U.S.

I'm not sure if you mean just that Canada would accept an AHA card, which I think they would, or if you mean that our courses are run based on AHA stuff. As far as I understand, all courses will be based on the ILCOR standards but ACLS here will be certified by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (unless I am mistaken).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.