National Registry Paramedic Trauma Practical Failed-help

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was I supposed to decompress on this scenario...I know I didn't.

What are the other possible scenarios?

I believe everything is BLS...I know that throws people off but you may have just gone over the time limit like you said and therein lies the solution. Just memorize everything on the sheet and practice with a classmate and stopwatch.

http://www.nremt.org/downloads/Patient%20Trauma.pdf

I just retested in my trauma station...the first time I think it was all nerves that caused me to fail. The second time I went in, took a deep breath and made sure I verbalized everything. I made sure that the evaluator knew I was thinking about what was going on, and not just "regurgitating" my skill sheet back to her. At one point, I stated that I was going to continue to monitor his lung sounds to make sure I didn't need to decompress the chest. That way she understood I wasn't oblivious to the thought process.

Just relax...if you didn't have a problem in class, and got through everything else alright, it was probably just a bit of hypoxia on your part :D

Good Luck on round 2!

The second time I went in, took a deep breath and made sure I verbalized everything. I made sure that the evaluator knew I was thinking about what was going on, and not just "regurgitating" my skill sheet back to her.

Pretty much the same thing that happened to me. I don't know what I missed the first time. I was told that many people were missing basic things like vitals, c-spine, not putting an occlusive on the back, etc. The second time I went slower and verbalized everything more deliberately and apparently it helped because I passed. Either I completely missed something so completely that I don't even know I missed it or the evaluator didn't hear me.

I volunteered as for that testing recently and it seemed like more were failing because they failed to go over the appropriate procedures in route or didn't ask information/evaluate in order to see if such procedures were needed (like intubation).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.