Cameras in Bunkrooms?

Riblett

Jake I agree with you, I dont think they should be monitoring the rooms with cams. It is a violation of privacy. I also agree with RID split them up if that is getting to be a problem. One way to solve a problem is to make it non existant.

*spenac is a legedend in his own mind*

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you consider the bathroom a changing area, no we do not have specified changing areas. And many people do not sleep in their full uniform, especially if it is a same sex crew.

Management has not come out and said that there are cameras, but it has been rumored. If they wanted to put them in there, then fine...but notify the employees. I will make sure I sleep in full clothing and change in the bathroom only from now on. But if they are there, then how long have they been there?

There have been many cases of employees being videotaped at work and lost suits because it was concluded that in the workplace there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. Exception being inside the bathroom, which is an established expectation of privacy almost anywhere. But I suppose that EMS/Fire are the only civilian professions that have bedrooms so they may be new ground.

Management has not come out and said that there are cameras, but it has been rumored. If they wanted to put them in there, then fine...but notify the employees.

You might want to look over your contract/handbook.

Even something like Management reserves the right to electronically monitor all working areas. Or something similar would hold up for them.

You might want to look over your contract/handbook.

Even something like Management reserves the right to electronically monitor all working areas. Or something similar would hold up for them.

I would almost bet you all my debt that unless you have written instruction to be dressed even in bed a camera pointed at the bed would get the company into a major wreck. A good lawyer would be able to easily argue that there is a reasonable expectation of privacy while in bed and would win.

I actually believe that anywhere a person has a expected right to privacy, a locker room, bathroom or bedroom then cameras cannot be there, period.

I'd like to see the case law on this but I'm pretty sure that a bedroom or sleeping quarters are considered someplace private.

If you would like to feel 100% at ease just pop into your local district attorneys office and ask them if the station would be justified in having a camera aimed at firefighter's beds or other areas where changing clothing is expected. I expect they will nearly pass out at the the mere thought that this may be occurring and quickly (and behind closed doors) confirm with the Fire Chief that this has not/will not occur. The last thing they want to hear is a government employee bringing up an issue that could cost the gov twice their annual budget.

I don't know about your area but we can go to the district (commonwealth around here) attorneys and and ask questions whenever we feel like it. Many places have a hotline or open office hours.

I would assume that if its their property and you are notified that the cameras our there. Then thats all they would need legally.

A sign that stated this area is being recorded by closed circuit TV, behave yourself.

Fist of all these people probably sleep in their clothes after being around sick people all day, with God knows what all over them that they cant see. You want to slap nasty s in a bed they just finished rolling around in? Not me.

God knows what they would find in these stations if a lab came in and took some samples. Keep your clothes on, tend to your business while you are there, go home and take a shower then think about banging your partner in a somewhat less infected area.

JPINFV wrote:

But think of the income that could be generated by PPV and DVD sales of "EMTs Gone Wild" or "Code 3 Club: Medics on the Prowl"

Ummm..our you wearing a blindfold to work. The woman I would choose to see naked our far and few between in this field. Nothing personal but this kind of work hardly attracts the beautiful people. Seeing a few that I work with naked would mandate immediate CISD. Not to mention the rest of my life being prescribed some type of sedative so I could sleep.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.