Design a distinct uniform to identify professional EMS

spenac

Do we need a distinct EMS uniform?  

82 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, We need a professional look
    • No, I like looking like a cop/FF
    • I prefer to wear whatever I want

Scrubs might work if you could still wear the EMS pants. However I don't find them the best option in a professional look. Beside prisoners wear scrubs too. At least if we opt to wear the the EMS pants that would set us apart in a hospital setting as EMS.

As for the star of life, I had no idea of what it stood for before I started my EMS education. If we all wore it, I am sure the public would connect the two eventually. It is 2007, time for a newer, and more styling symbol :D

In my area ALS ambulances have a Normal Sinus Rhythm on them. I think that would be pretty easy.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrubs might work if you could still wear the EMS pants. However I don't find them the best option in a professional look. Beside prisoners wear scrubs too. At least if we opt to wear the the EMS pants that would set us apart in a hospital setting as EMS.

As for the star of life, I had no idea of what it stood for before I started my EMS education. If we all wore it, I am sure the public would connect the two eventually. It is 2007, time for a newer, and more styling symbol :lol:

In my area ALS ambulances have a Normal Sinus Rhythm on them. I think that would be pretty easy.

Speedy I agree lets keep the nicer fitting EMS pants with a nice fitted better quality scrub top.

I'll wait and let someone else design the new EMS logo, as what keeps coming to my mind is a lady walking in the river with a babys head popping out between her legs. :shock:

As far as the normal sinus are you sure it's NSR, many I've seen have a wide QRS complex?

[There is one symbol that is universally recognised to be associated with emergency care. Unfortunately, the arseholes at the American Red Cross registered it as a protected trademark, so we can't use it. Well, actually "we" can use it out here where I am, but American EMS in general cannot use it. I think the National Safety Council registered the green cross as a protected trademark too, for that matter, so that leaves that one out too.

Wear a Radio Shack fire chief helmet with a flashing red beacon on it for all I care. But no reflective material on the primary uniform.

Thats funny you mentioned the red cross. The ambulances in Mexico show up and thats what they have, that and the green cross.

And I knew my old radio shack hat would be usefull glad I never chunked it. :lol:

Speedy I agree lets keep the nicer fitting EMS pants with a nice fitted better quality scrub top.

I'll wait and let someone else design the new EMS logo, as what keeps coming to my mind is a lady walking in the river with a babys head popping out between her legs. :shock:

As far as the normal sinus are you sure it's NSR, many I've seen have a wide QRS complex?

Probably wide QRS complex. Haven't taken a class on them so I am not sure the difference. I have only breifly looked at the different rythms over in a field guide.

how bout bright pink?

I don't like scrubs, did that at one time, no protection from the elements and stuff.

You need fabric that is a little thicker than paper.

how bout bright pink?

I don't like scrubs, did that at one time, no protection from the elements and stuff.

You need fabric that is a little thicker than paper.

Spend a little money and buy a good scrub top.

I think that if you are required to wear a uniform that the company should pay for it and that said, my company I used to work for bought the cheap scrubs.

I ended up paying for good outerwear for protection.

I think that if you are required to wear a uniform that the company should pay for it and that said, my company I used to work for bought the cheap scrubs.

I ended up paying for good outerwear for protection.

Don't that bite. The company collects all that money and lets you freeze.

How about disposable uniforms, now there's a concept. :wink:

That's actually the most lucid and intelligent thing you have ever contributed to this forum. I like it! If that was the result of alcohol, you should drink more! :lol:

Thats funny you mentioned the red cross. The ambulances in Mexico show up and thats what they have, that and the green cross.

Yeah, we spent a little time doing some ambo spotting down in Sonora last month. The first ambulances we saw were Mexican Red Cross ambulances, and they were the most prevalent.

e70adbff43.jpg

The next ambo we saw was run by the local FD, which had no Star of Life, Red Cross, or other medical emblem on it. Just a Maltese cross on the door.

5f628d2a8d.jpg

Then we saw ambulances from two different services, one of which had Star Of Life emblems on it, and the other did not. The one that did not was called San Juan, so I suspect it may be part of the international St. John's organisation, but they did not have the St. Johns emblem on them. All of these were running EMS, so apparently it is a 1970's EMS free-for-all in parts of Mexico. I'm just wondering how (and if) they get paid.

We also saw what we presumed to be a military ambulance, which was a big olive green type I with nothing but a giant red cross on it.

As for uniforms, the firemonkeys (that's "bomberomiquito" in Espanol :D ) were wearing what firemonkeys typically wear. Blue work pants and blue t-shirts. The Red Cross guys were wearing what looked to be the same shirts the guys at Jiffy Lube wear. A two toned grey and navy shirt with Red Cross patches on the breast. I didn't see what the medics from the other organisations were wearing.

Next time, we'll spend some time actually talking to some of these people and find out exactly what qualifies one to be a "paramedico."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.