Design a distinct uniform to identify professional EMS

spenac

Do we need a distinct EMS uniform?  

82 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, We need a professional look
    • No, I like looking like a cop/FF
    • I prefer to wear whatever I want

Cops wear jackets. Jackets don't scream EMS professional to me.

Everyone wears jackets or coats in winter even Doctors or Nurses. You can take it off when inside or unzip and they will see scrubs. Again as discussed by others could use flight or jump suits for bad weather.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think scrubs are the way to go.

Honestly, I think they are unprofessional outside of the hospital enviroment.

How would you like two overweight hairy men coming to pick you up in their pajamas?

I don't think scrubs are the way to go.

Honestly, I think they are unprofessional outside of the hospital enviroment.

How would you like two overweight hairy men coming to pick you up in their pajamas?

The scrubs that were posted are more form fitted and not see thru. Not talking about the cheap basic scrubs. Also as mentioned we could still keep our EMS pants.

Hey maybe we would scare people from calling with BS if the saw what you describe.

Tshirts and polos make me think of students not healthcare professionals.

I don't like scrubs (as I wear them in the hospital), they fit the hospital setting but they I don't see them fitting the streets. As for badges, I see them as a police thing, not ems, or ff.

I really think it would be nice if there was a pin that could be used that would make the public think EMS when they see it. Like on the highway the Blue H stands for hospital. I know when I see that I think hospital. I am not saying we should all have a big blue H pin on our uniforms :lol: , but some kind of simple symbol that even the public could connect to EMS that is not something they are gonna need to read. An acronym probably would not do. If all EMS providers wore it on there uniforms maybe they would get the point, like the cop badge. This would be much simpler as not every single provider would have to change there uniform, just have them wear a pin that is easy to see and easy to identify.

I don't like scrubs (as I wear them in the hospital), they fit the hospital setting but they I don't see them fitting the streets. As for badges, I see them as a police thing, not ems, or ff.

I really think it would be nice if there was a pin that could be used that would make the public think EMS when they see it. Like on the highway the Blue H stands for hospital. I know when I see that I think hospital. I am not saying we should all have a big blue H pin on our uniforms :D , but some kind of simple symbol that even the public could connect to EMS that is not something they are gonna need to read. An acronym probably would not do. If all EMS providers wore it on there uniforms maybe they would get the point, like the cop badge. This would be much simpler as not every single provider would have to change there uniform, just have them wear a pin that is easy to see and easy to identify.

Thought that was a star of life for EMS?

Dust I think you would like the BC Ambulance Service uniform. Navy or black coloured service pants, black boots, a white shirt with clear easy to read BCAS patches and patches indicating a members level of education. Also epaulettes indicating rank (and no stupid hats!).

Actually, their uniforms are about the only thing I like about BCAS, lol! I think I'd ditch the patches too, but at least they aren't uber gaudy like so many are in EMS.

I don't like scrubs (as I wear them in the hospital), they fit the hospital setting but they I don't see them fitting the streets.

Tell us, Speedy, how many years did you wear them on the streets as an EMS provider before you came to this conclusion? And what exactly was it about them that brought you to that conclusion?

Thought that was a star of life for EMS?

Yeah, well thirty five years after the fact, it is now obvious that the SOL is a collossal flop. Many providers have been moving away from it for the last twenty years already because nobody but us recognises it. There is one symbol that is universally recognised to be associated with emergency care. Unfortunately, the arseholes at the American Red Cross registered it as a protected trademark, so we can't use it. Well, actually "we" can use it out here where I am, but American EMS in general cannot use it. I think the National Safety Council registered the green cross as a protected trademark too, for that matter, so that leaves that one out too.

Hats... well... I can certainly agree with a need for them in regions such as Spenac works in. But these would have to be pre-approved, uniform (everybody the same) functional hats that are not ballcap style, and only under necessary weather conditions. You can't wear them after sundown just because you're having a bad hair day.

Polo shirts... these can be decent looking when in a conservative colour and worn with fitted slacks (as opposed to MC Hammer looking BDU britches). Unfortunately, there is a tendancy to make them clown red or a dingy (din-gee, not ding-ee) grey colour that looks like crap. And the cut of Polo shirts is not very conducive to the wearing of body armour, which would be a mandatory requirement in my agency. And I dunno about where everybody else is, but all the cops are starting to wear white polo shirts around Texas in the Summer. Consequently, there goes the whole purpose of the distinct uniform. Consequently, no Polo shirts.

T-shirts... seriously, do I really even need to comment on this? :roll:

And I will absolutely veto any legislation that includes any reflective material on the primary uniform. Wear a vest. Wear a coat. Wear a jacket. Wear a Radio Shack fire chief helmet with a flashing red beacon on it for all I care. But no reflective material on the primary uniform.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.