Design a distinct uniform to identify professional EMS

spenac

Do we need a distinct EMS uniform?  

82 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, We need a professional look
    • No, I like looking like a cop/FF
    • I prefer to wear whatever I want

On the subject of uniforms, do EMS providers really need badges? I'd like to see a uniform scheme that doesn't use a badge since I can't really think of any good purpose for it. We wear them as part of our uniforms, and often times get mistaken as cops. Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are more angles that have to be viewed. Many, many many departments run fire/ems together. In cases like that, departments obviously have a standard uniform as firefighters/emts/medics whatever all do the same job. Of course thats not saying that when the ambulance crew gets goin they cant throw on a set of coveralls. I work in the city, and my uniform looks very very close to a PD uniform (navy button down, silver badge, silver name plate) especially in the dark. i have people calling me officer all the time, day and night. Honestly i dont think that a certain color would do much good, as ive seen different people with different people across the country, wearing anything from red to green or orange on ambulances, same with fire and PD.

On the subject of uniforms, do EMS providers really need badges? I'd like to see a uniform scheme that doesn't use a badge since I can't really think of any good purpose for it. We wear them as part of our uniforms, and often times get mistaken as cops. Any thoughts on this?

Badges suck. Especially those cheap looking ones so many services choose. We are healthcare professionals, badges serve no purpose. We need to be distinct from cops and FF.

I think there are more angles that have to be viewed. Many, many many departments run fire/ems together. In cases like that, departments obviously have a standard uniform as firefighters/emts/medics whatever all do the same job. Of course thats not saying that when the ambulance crew gets goin they cant throw on a set of coveralls. I work in the city, and my uniform looks very very close to a PD uniform (navy button down, silver badge, silver name plate) especially in the dark. i have people calling me officer all the time, day and night. Honestly i dont think that a certain color would do much good, as ive seen different people with different people across the country, wearing anything from red to green or orange on ambulances, same with fire and PD.

Alright color is left to each service. So to set us a different from LE/FF the idea of using a nice scrub top like has been posted with ems pants could really be a way to go. Says healthcare provider, but is rugged enough for the field. Even in Mexico healthcare providers seem to wear scrubs or lab coats, so my patients would see scrub top and right away know I'm healthcare not a cop taking them into custody.

What is wrong with a Polo/T-Shirt and BDU pants? Leave all the crap you don't need off the belt and you don't look like an officer. Screenprint / embroider them with the company name/logo. Have your jumpsuit on the ambulance for the occasional wreck and you are set. Make your shirt colored diffrently from the local PD's. Medium blue, green, and white all seem like good choices.

What is wrong with a Polo/T-Shirt and BDU pants?.

You don't think healthcare when you see a polo or tshirt. When you see someone in scrubs you automatically think they are a healthcare provider. I am looking for a way to see us and say healthcare professional, don't want them to have to read my shirt to know it.

Scrubs are cold in the winter. Sorry.

Polo/BDU puts a professional imgage out there, with the ability of being casual enough to keep you from being confused with LE. Espically with seperation of colors.

A shirt and tie with kahkis do not scream doctor to me, but many wear them, only putting the gowns and coats on when needed.

Scrubs are cold in the winter. Sorry.

Ever hear of a jacket, oops sorry forgot talking to a dispatcher. Go over by the wall, you know which one, no not that one the one in the opposite direction you just went, there are some metal objects sticking out of it and get that heavy kinda looks like a shirt thing and put it on and you should be able to stay warm. :wink:

Scrubs in the summer and flight suit style in the winter?

I just wanted to add some more thoughts on the subject of visibility. I mentioned before what I thought should go on the uniform shirt itself, but I also wanted to mention what I think might be a good substitute for the vest (if I were working for Dust he would just fire me... but I don't so I will keep discussing other options). Thames EMS in London, Ontario (I know we have at least one member who works for them, although not a frequent poster) has jackets that I think look very professional but are very visible. I haven't been able to find a pic, but basically it is a bright green/yellow with reflective and I believe it has the service name and "Paramedic" on the back. The jacket is something worth considering, because if we just end up wearing a dark jacket then again we might find ourselves looking like cops. Also, if we had a jacket like Thames EMS uses then that negates the need for a vest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.