1. 1.

• Yes, We need a professional look
    • No, I like looking like a cop/FF
    • I prefer to wear whatever I want

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think we should have certain colors for each level...

Absolutely not. When you start mixing up colours, you lose the definition of "uniform." It's about uniformity. We need to be dressing for the public, not for our own egos. And, of course, there should only be one level on an ambulance anyhow. :D

Rid, those are the scrubs I was referring to. Aviator has an excellent product that I think offers a very attractive option to EMS.

Mike, as for flight suits, I agree that there are problems with them. Unless they are properly fitted, they look like crap. They look good on most flight crews because most flight services have the suits tailor made. Here in the military, they only look good on half the people, because the other half got issued a size or three too big for them. And we've all seen the fire departments that wear off-the-rack jumpsuits (not flightsuits), that look like potatoe sacks. Ugh. As for the hot and sweaty factor, remember, they don't have to be made of Nomex. They are also made in poly-cotton blends that are quite durable, lightweight, breathable, and look just as good as the Nomex.

I also agree that white is not always practical. I would say that for the overwhelming majority of EMS providers in the U.S., it is perfectly practical. However, for the urban firemonkeys and other situations, probably not so. But if you work in an environment where it works, I think it is the best choice for a professional image. I mean come on, folks... I know everybody immediatly starts talking about crawling in wrecked cars, but how many of your runs each day really involve that? It's just not that much. Throw on a bunker coat for that one run out of 50, for Christ's sake.

The same statistic goes for the need for reflective and fluorescent clothing. Puhleeze. I am not wearing that clown suit 5 days a week, in and out of hospitals, patients homes, nursing homes, restaurants, apartment and office buildings just because I occasionally work an MVA. That's what traffic vests are for. Too lazy or absent minded to put your vest on? You're fired. I am not a wrecker driver, and I refuse to dress like one. I am a medical professional and will strive to present and maintain that image.

If my Rule #1 is "Don't look like a cop or fireman," then my Rule #2 would be "NO FRIGGIN' HATS!" I love pissing off all the fat, Skoal dipping, ballcap wearing Bubbas! :D

Uh, why not ems pants and a white scrub shirt with a blue star of life on the front?

Uh... because the Star Of Life is gay and nobody but us even knows what it means. For that matter, probably less than ten percent of those in EMS even know what it actually stands for. I say trash it. It ain't on my ambulance. I don't want it on my body either.

I know everybody immediatly starts talking about crawling in wrecked cars, but how many of your runs each day really involve that? It's just not that much. Throw on a bunker coat for that one run out of 50, for Christ's sake.

When designing a uniform, you need to think of the most extreme cases that you're going to use it in, including crawling in to wrecked cars. Not to say that's the only thing to consider, as it was just an example in my previous post. How about something that can stand up in the rain, and something that's easy to clean, so when that guy who had 8 beers throws up on you, it isn't going to ruin it. If it costs twice as much, but lasts longer than a regular uniform, I believe it's well worth the money.

Dust I think you would like the BC Ambulance Service uniform. Navy or black coloured service pants, black boots, a white shirt with clear easy to read BCAS patches and patches indicating a members level of education. Also epaulettes indicating rank (and no stupid hats!). Looks nothing like the RCMP uniform so there is no worry about being mistaken for a LEO or a firemonkey. Also the public recognizes the uniform easily because BCAS is the only service in the province serving the general public. All other services in BC serve heavy industry only.

The same statistic goes for the need for reflective and fluorescent clothing. Puhleeze. I am not wearing that clown suit 5 days a week, in and out of hospitals, patients homes, nursing homes, restaurants, apartment and office buildings just because I occasionally work an MVA. That's what traffic vests are for. Too lazy or absent minded to put your vest on? You're fired. I am not a wrecker driver, and I refuse to dress like one. I am a medical professional and will strive to present and maintain that image.

I think it wouldn't hurt to be visible even when its just night and you're just getting out of your truck to go into someone's home for a call (who knows who is driving down the street and not paying attention). I didn't mean to suggest going all crazy with reflective, but even just "PARAMEDIC" on the back that will reflect might be good. Since you haven't got your way yet and EMT-Bs are still working on ambulances, this would also be a way to clearly identify one from the other from a distance without having different coloured uniforms.

What about green? It's the international colour of medical. My services overalls are green and our safety tabards are bright yellow and green.

International colour of medical? I dunno, I don't see that a whole lot in North America but maybe it is the European and Australian colour of medical?

If my Rule #1 is "Don't look like a cop or fireman," then my Rule #2 would be "NO FRIGGIN' HATS!" I love pissing off all the fat, Skoal dipping, ballcap wearing Bubbas! :)

Hey I resemble that remark, except no tobacco and I wear a cowboy hat and not that fat and not called bubba(usually called much worse like pinche gringo, etc).

Actually I have no problem with a hat but it needs to be neat clean and a company hat not a joes crab shack cap. We spend a lot of time in the sun here, lots of patients wait outside in a lawn chair, so need to shade the eyes to even see to check our patients.

I do think having a little bit of reflective is a good idea, but keep the large amounts on the vests. The star of life I can live with or w/o but the public im my area does associate it with the ambulance so might be good to have it on the scrubs.

The scrubs top mixed with EMS pants actually could look good and provide the durable knees. Don't work that many wrecks but down on a knee checking almost every patient.

A jump suit or extrication suit for wrecks and bad weather, only takes a second to put on. Also would have your wind breaker or coat over the thin scrub top in cool weather.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.