"He wasn't feeling well."

zzyzx

It's late afternoon and you're almost done with your shift when you respond to a fall victim, the third one today.

You're quite suprised when you walk in and find your patient, a 40-something y/o male, supine on the ground with snoring reps. A firefighter is just starting to bag the patient and the fire medic, who's been on scene just a few minutes before you, says, "Hey, he was in bigeminy when I first got here. His wife said she heard him collapse after he came in from working in the garage saying that he wasn't feeling well."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your patient is a 40-something y/o Hispanic male with a history of diabetes and hypertension, meds unknown.

Your initial impression:

A: the fire medic has tried to intubate but the patient still has a gag reflex.

B: 10-12. Patient is now being bagged by a firefighter.

C: skins are warm, dry, pink

You glance at the monitor and see a normal sinus rhythm at 80. The fire medic has told you that he was initially in bigeminy.

1) What was the blood sugar obtained prior to attempting to intubate this "snoring resp" diabetic patient. I seriously hope one was obtained prior to attempting to intubate this patient...

2) What type of bigemeny was this patient in? If it was ventricular, were the PVC's conducting?

3) BLS airways maneuvers and oxygenation seem to have cleared up the ectopy.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the patient is hypoxic secondary to carbon monoxide poisoning...

What do I win?

His blood sugar is 160. :wink:

He was in ventricular bigeminy. Fire medic doesn't know if the PVC's were producing pulses.

Wife says he was just doing woodworking in his garage--no carbon monoxide.

What else would you like to know?

Could SOMEBODY please tell me what "bigeminy" is, I'm dying from the suspense?

I believe it is when every normal beat is followed by a PVC.