skibum

Following the discussion in question:  

32 members have voted

1. 1.

• The flag should be displayed - correctly
    • The flag should be displayed - as is
    • The flag should be taken down
    • Don't know, Don't care, etc.

OK, so this is more of a rant than anything else; and I'd like to see what people have to say for/against what I am about to bring up:

Background: My volunteer squad building has recently been renovated and had an addition built on. In this process, the light that was used to display our American Flag at night was removed.

Discussion:

At my squad's monthly meeting yesterday, one of the members brought up the topic that we are no longer properly displaying the flag (since it is no longer lit up at night). One of our officers actually became quite argumentative in the discussion that followed and it was ultimately his opinion that rather than spending the money (which we have) to install a light to properly display the flag, that he would rather just take it down. And this person was not alone in his opinion. However, there was enough opposition that this discussion was tabled until next month.

In my opinion, since we have the money and we are a volunteer community service (which we do get tax dollars for), I think we should be displaying the American Flag, and doing it with the respect it deserves. Is this person's opinion common these days, what have you found? And if so, is this isolated to the volunteer/public sector, or is the private sector about the same? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for letting me rant :)

-skibum

The Flag Code states it is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flag staffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness. The American Legion interprets " proper illumination" as a light specifically placed to illuminate the flag (preferred) or having a light source sufficient to illuminate the flag so it is recognizable as such by the casual observer.

So, if worse comes to worse, you may still have it but will just have to take it down each day. Perhaps, once people have to do this they will opt for a 24 hour showing and the light.

With our brothers and sisters dying overseas, the least your organization can do is spring for light.

I whole-heartedly agree (my wife has also served in Iraq), which is yet another reason I am obviously pushing to display the flag; and the issue of taking the flag in at night was discussed, and dismissed as "too much work".

Being volunteer, and not having someone at the building every morning or evening, this was quickly dismissed because no one wanted this responsibility. This particular point I have to agree with, speaking for myself, I couldn't volunteer to do this either. I opt for the light.

I display a flag at home. I don't take it in at night. So sue me.

Is the new addition to your station finished? If so, I don't understand the big deal about remounting a light for the flag. Y'all should be flying the flag. There are 2 choices:

1. Fly 24/7 without the light.

2. Take the flag down until you get a light.

Watch out for those VFW types, they might come over there and go Rambo on y'all.

Shayne

One of the great things about this country is freedom of expression. The downside is the freedom applies to ass clowns too. Maybe you have learned some things about your members that you didn't want to know but maybe wern't suprising. The flag should be displayed properly or not at all. Anything else is an insult. Then again, someone is probably designing stars and stripes condoms as we speak.

I say take it down at night, but only after a full flag lowering ceremony with a bugler playing taps and a color guard procession. After a few nights of this someone will break down and buy a damn light.

There are set guidelines, as has been noted, that outline the proper display of the US national flag. If you're going to display a flag, it should be displayed accordingly. If you can't follow these guidelines, then you shouldn't display the flag.

It's easy to get caught up in the notion that displaying a flag portrays a certain level of patriotism. Unfortunately, patriotism quickly turns to zeal which quickly leads to a lack of common sense. There is nothing unpatriotic in displaying your flag properly.

There is a great lack of respect demonstrated to all the flag represents to casually disregard the rules surrounding it's display and care.

And actually, as far as the army is concerned, when the flag is raised in the morning, "Reveille" is played. When the flag is lowered at sunset, "To The Colors" is played, then "Retreat" is played. "Taps" comes in later after "Call to Quarters" is played.

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.