Duty gloves

KMAC

When i have psyc. pt's i like to wear a pair of gloves with a kevlar lining or something of some such. Ive had a few different pairs, mostly galls neoprene with kevlar. but im looking for something better. does anyone else use something similar?

i can see where you are coming from. however i have a high volume of gang members (bloods) IV drug users and just plain stupid people with everything from exacto knives to straight razors to god knows what else on their person. hell, ive even had people try to bite my hands...

May i be nieve in asking with a known psych pt. there is possibly PD on Scene, i know that was the case in our district, that we if suspected could ask PD to do search to provide for scene and transport safety, i honestly haven't had the experience with gang members but i know the first thing i learned is if you cant provide for your own safety, to make the scene safe then proceed, i realize this isn't an option on all psych calls but maybe a thought to conceder.

yes, that is a perfect world. However in many cases, say in a stabbing, the last thing i, or the PD wants to do is start routing through their pockets, mouth, ect. for stuff if the guy is gutted in the middle of the road. i mean yeah, they will look for obvious things. Also, cases such as diabetics, seizures, ect. in which the pt. comes "out" of their state of mind and is confused, ect. they can go off like a time bomb. it happened to me about a month ago, a guy was passed out in his car at a stop light, me and the medic woke him up and he flipped out on us because he had no idea what was going on.

I'm going to sound like a butt here, but I still don't understand the need you have for these gloves on any pt. I agree with AK on this one, not only are they threatening to a pt, but the do little more than collect disease as well. let me guess they get stuck in your back pocket when your not wearing them? why aren't your POs (cops) doing a "pat down" and clearing the pts? that sounds like the bigger issue that needs to be addressed. I'm all for protecting yourself, but it would seem to me that the invitation for a fight is being offered when you show up on scene looking as much like a PO as possible. loose the gloves and save the money for a much needed vacation next year!

I have a pair of gloves that are made of Kevlar. I mostly use them when carrying the stairchair or Reeves...makes a better grip for me without hurting my fingers. I also use them when I'm rescue work.

You never know when a skell is gonna try and pull something. PD on scenes is a pipe dream in some urban areas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.