Memories...

Wow, it's been a long time since I've written on this site. Some of you might remember me from the post "Christianity in EMS" (most of you'll have no idea who I am :lol:). Michael has been encouraging me to visit here again and keeps me updated on what's going on here.

How is everyone? I know strong feelings were stirred up during that last topic and I was often surprised by the posts (especially Michael's :lol:). I've been even more surprised by the number of views it still receives. Maybe someone will benefit from that turbulent time, God willing. Also, a point I failed to make at the time was, I'm not trying to convert people. Why? Because I can't. I have no ability to do that. It's in God's hands and He has to open a heart to His word.

Also wanted to add, to those out in the field, those in the medical field (like me), and those who just go out and work hard to provide a service for others (because EVERY work somehow touches someone else) - you are all SO important. No matter what you think, there's always at least 1 person out there that loves you. So NEVER give up.

With love in Jesus,

Tiffany

Anyone have any memories they'd like to share about how someone unexpectantly touched them and changed the way they felt about something? My patients do that to me from time to time, and often I find myself reflecting.[/font:02799ded65]

Welcome back, Tiffany! :lol: Glad to see you posting again.

I once had a friend send me a letter, some M and M's, and an unexpected bit of money. It wasn't much, but it created a point of light in a pretty dark semester. It changed how I thought about him, to some extent, and helped me get through the rest of the term. Changed the way I thought about friendship, as well. :lol:

I also recently had the fortunate experience of working with a child with Down's syndrome. He was a wolf scout, and needed to participate in a flag ceremony to satisfy one of the requirements for moving on to the next level. Working with this child touched me in a way that I had never been touched before. It was fascinating to see how he saw the world. I think it is part of the reason that I'm seeking employment in a setting that works with adults with developmental disabilities. You never really realize that there are so many different ways of perceiving things until you try to communicate with someone who literally processes the world in a different manner from what you're used to. Fascinating worlds. So many of them.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

PCTtiff and Eyedawn in the same thread! Hell, my spelling and grammar will never pass muster....

Man, I've been missing both of you! It's exciting to see you posting again!

I didn't mean to highjack your thread Tiff, I just wanted to say hi! I'll try and post to your question before bed...

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

Hi again! ;)

Michael, I KNEW you'd be the first to catch a glimpse of this post. Everyone should beware he is like every where at once on the net. And he's quick! So be warned. LOL It's great to be back on here and thanks for always being there for me.

Wendy, it's great to hear from you again! Your story is wonderful to hear. Thanks so much for sharing! My sister actually works at an MRDD facility (as a cook) and she sees that through their eyes also. At my doctor's office, I see several MRDD patients once in a while and, can you believe it, they are some of the happiest people! Always smiling - even when they are very ill.... it's like they have the love of God in them even though they can't communicate or take care of themselves very well. Maybe they're angels in disguise... :)

Oh, and on that note, my sister was telling me about something that happened at work just the other day. One of her residents was over dosed on her meds (accidentally) and an ambulance had to be called to transport her. When the medics got there (apparently there was a medic and an EMT) the woman paramedic refused to transport her. The resident was not being violent and they are saying it was because she is MR. How terrible...

Dwayne, it's great to hear from you and I missed you guys too! Where've you been and what've you been up to? Are you still out in the field ambulance driving? :wink: (Are you an EMT-B, EMT-I, or paramedic? Do you work in a big city?) Talk to me and let me know what's up! (I'm watching for the post you promised!)

I'll share a quick memory I have...

I worked at a nursing home before I got the job at the doctor's office where I'm at now. All my residents were special to me, but only one really, really touched me. She was 96 years old and had all the mental quickness. She was such a lovely lady. She became my real Grandma and we spent alot of time together talking, even after I quit. The last time I saw her, I was bringing a CD player in to her so she could listen to her Bible on CD. She was asleep in her old blue chair and looked just miserable. I don't know what made me do it, as I would generally have wanted to let her sleep, but I went over to her to let her know I was there. She never opened her eyes, but she got out that she wasn't much company today and that she loved me and to be good, to wait on God... I hugged her and squeezed her hand, told her I loved her too and I promised I would... I kissed her on the cheek and told her I'd come in again soon.... And that was the last time I saw her. I went through a bad stage, but God comforted me by His promise that I would see her again and by knowing how happy she is now. She was the first and only real Grandma I ever had.

Well, that's mine. I love to hear from you guys! TTYL everyone. Good-night!

Always in Him,

Tiff

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.