Make my duty belt LIGHTER! (Please)

NYCntg

#-o OK Maybe I should have been more specific... I don't ACTUALLY carry all that stuff (monitor, drugs, etc) ON MY belt... but the stuff I do take, I wanted to lighten up a bit without losing the stuff I actually use. (btw I can't stand putting stuff into the BDU pockets, thats just plain dumb {boy I can't wait to see what crap I catch for that comment}. :roll:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to disagree with the crowd and consensus on this one.

I wear this belt. Yes I am a whacker, but a whacker with a well educated head on his neck.

You are in an urban enviroment, as I am. When poking around in the ghetto, I wear...

-Flashlight (i refuse to use those giant 20 lb maglights)

-Glovecase (i dont always wear gloves, because you dont always need them)

-bandage shears (i hate hunting for shears)

-Multi-tool

-leather gloves (hand protection for extrication / combative drunken goobers / your local Mc-Dopey)

Cell Phone

Radio

Pager.

Only a few pounds, and everything you need.

I'm just wondering why you would ask a question when you have already justified the answer in your head. Sounds like you have NO choice but to carry all this crap on every call for fear of getting a NOI. If that's the case then learn to deal with it....really! If you have been doing this since 1977, then why haven't you figured out another way, by now, to make your job easier? You asked the question looking for opinions, or did I misread this? when peeps gave it, you went on a 8 to 10 paragraph rampage. Being in the "JOB" for so many years wouldn't you agree that you sounded like a whacker when you posed the initial question?

Take a breath!

Don't shoot me, If it's not OK to post this here, let me know and I won't do it again.. :?

with that said, I make an O2 wrench called a WANTYNU (go to EMTCITY Top sites) that would knock a few ounces off. (It's not cheap, sorry but it costs a fortune to make, and I worked really hard to make it right) but everyone who has one seems to like it (so far).

Again, maybe its futile, but don't jump all over me for making this post, I'm just trying to help.

Ok end of plug. :sign7:

I'm just wondering why you would ask a question when you have already justified the answer in your head. Sounds like you have NO choice but to carry all this crap on every call for fear of getting a NOI. If that's the case then learn to deal with it....really! If you have been doing this since 1977, then why haven't you figured out another way, by now, to make your job easier? You asked the question looking for opinions, or did I misread this? when peeps gave it, you went on a 8 to 10 paragraph rampage. Being in the "JOB" for so many years wouldn't you agree that you sounded like a whacker when you posed the initial question?

Take a breath!

Your right, I went off on a rant, because it's just seems that most of the folks on these boards just don't get it.

For the VAST majority, it's easier to criticize then to be constructive, a wiseass answer does not help, and makes the author look ignorant, not clever.

BTW, Yes I choose to "carry all that crap on every call", it's not fear of NOI's, thats the small penalty, it has more to do with this thing they refer to called "Standard Of Care", maybe you've heard of it? :roll:

I'm not a skell, as a medic you're expected to bring your tools with you, (it would be nice if the Monitor was lighter), but I'm just looking to do what I can with the things I can change.

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

PS. it was from one of these boards I got the idea to change to lithium batteries, they not only last a LOT longer, but they knocked about 6 oz's off.

Im going to disagree with the crowd and consensus on this one.

I wear this belt. Yes I am a whacker, but a whacker with a well educated head on his neck.

You are in an urban enviroment, as I am. When poking around in the ghetto, I wear...

-Flashlight (i refuse to use those giant 20 lb maglights)

-Glovecase (i dont always wear gloves, because you dont always need them)

-bandage shears (i hate hunting for shears)

-Multi-tool

-leather gloves (hand protection for extrication / combative drunken goobers / your local Mc-Dopey)

Cell Phone

Radio

Pager.

Only a few pounds, and everything you need.

Thank you.

I agree, it's what comes with this job, you can't put a price on having the right tool when you need it.

btw, I don't always wear gloves, but always carry them, and also carry skell gloves (I like hatch Street Guards), and my pager, and my flashlight is a streamlight twintask dual halogen / LED mini, oh and a rescue hook (great for the donorcycles leathers :laughing3: )

BTW, Yes I choose to "carry all that crap on every call", it's not fear of NOI's, thats the small penalty, it has more to do with this thing they refer to called "Standard Of Care", maybe you've heard of it? :roll:

I wasn't planning on getting in on this discussion, but are you actually saying that I can't meet my standard of care because I use the O[sub:e5b5116d78]2[/sub:e5b5116d78] wrench that is attached to the tank, that I don't have a multitool, that I keep gloves in my pocket, and that I see no need for a window punch on the vast majority of calls?

BeOPR, I agree with your question to the poster. "standard of Care" you mean there is a national standard of care that includes a multi tool and a o2 wrench that I have to carry on my person.

what's on my belt consists of

The belt itself

A flashlight holder with flashlight

A pager

A cell phone

that's it. nothing else.

my scissors are in my scissor pocket on my leg

My gloves are in one of the cargo pockets

My multitool is no-where to be found as I've never needed one in the past 15 years

Our service uses the kind of oxygen tanks with the handle built in. We do have tanks that need a o2 wrench but those tanks have the wrench attached.

I don't carry a chair, EVER

For a fractured ankle or that kind of call I don't carry in the monitor

*edit* I do have a multitool but it's usually in the ambulance to do mini repairs.

Plus the fact that you have to repair all those things on the ambulance makes me feel sorry for you and your service.

I don't carry a chair, EVER

For a fractured ankle or that kind of call I don't carry in the monitor

Our service uses the kind of oxygen tanks with the handle built in.

Plus the fact that you have to repair all those things on the ambulance makes me feel sorry for you and your service.

I am trying to break the cycle here, so I won't make several snide / digs comments that come to mind, so lets all try to keep this professional.

First, we must ALL keep in mind that our systems and call volumes are very different, as well as the demographics we serve.

So lets try to be a little tolerant, and try not to twist what someone says.

In MY CITY, New York City, if you did not carry a:

1) O2 (bag with NRB etc)

2) Drug bag (we keep our tube kit in here)

3) ECG Monitor / Manual defibrillator

4) A device to carry move your patient (stretcher or stair chair)

On EVERY JOB, you Would be acting OUTSIDE the Standard of care.

"Our service uses the kind of oxygen tanks with the handle built in." We have those too, they break in 10 minutes...

relax already on the multi tool for crying out loud, and no our busses are not broken down wreaks, but if its a simple fix, why not do it instead of putting a unit out of service for hours at a shot?

have you ever done a carry down (or a 6 story carry for that matter?) better yet, try a 30 story carry in a blackout... :shock: (better bring your flashlight).

I'm sorry I find it hard to believe you've never taken a chair with you on a job, maybe its true, but I find it hard to believe. Since I assume you work (or Volunteer?) in a non urban environment, how do you get your patients out from their homes? :?

But on the other end, you may find it hard to belive that I have to be in my bus for the entire shift, no station house to hang out at, no bed, engine idling the whole day.

This is interesting, NYC EMS takes 3500+ calls system wide PER DAY, or about 1.3 millon calls per year, in any given 40 hour week (5 tours) I do between 20 and 40 ALS calls.

What's your system like? :wink: