help? Need name of law

Does anyone know the name of the law, public code number or whatever that states that the closest, most appropriate ambulance must respond to an emergency. My township has 2 fire depts in its midst and one is MFR and one is basic EMT. They always send the MFR unit because they like the crew more. Does anyone know where I can find the law? Thanks, I live in Michigan, if that helps

• 2 weeks later...

OK here's where the questions come in. First as discussed somwhere on here before No township actually has to provide ambulance service. But it seems like you are talking more to the first response end because an MFR crew can't transport someone to the hospital. There is no law that says the closest FD must be sent to you. That is done buy jurisdiction and if you are in that unfortunate corner of your township where you are closer to the neighboring FD, sorry 'bout your luck. I would check to see if they have actual response areas or what.

• 1 month later...

http://www.mgh.org/mqtems/administative_Rules.pdf

The real question is what is the National Standard regarding dispatch?

I submit that in 98% of the country the closest unit is to be sent.

This issue will be self correcting when you guys become aware of a death or worsened condition due to the closest unit having not been sent. Lawyers get involved then the County or City Council Members, County Manager, Comm Center Manager, Admin of the improperly dispatched agency, Crew that responded, and certainly the dispatcher(s) involved will be among those named in a massive civil lawsuit.

Even if they aren't found responsible the cost of litigation for the government and the cost to the individuals involved could be incredible. Scanners and word of mouth go a long way toward providing oversight in a foolish situation such as the one you have described.

Remember although not related to the topic, the murder formerly known as O.J. Simpson was found criminally innocent yet a civil jury found him at fault to the tune of $30 + million illustrating the power of a civil jury.

No such law from what I know of. I can tell you routinely that in NYC, the Bronx for example, you may live right on the border with Westchester Co. and the closest EMS or Fire unit for that matter will be from Westchester, but, because you live in the Bronx, you get a NYC unit that is actually farther away. That is just the WAY IT IS.

As far as if Michigan has some specific law, I don't know, but as a person who is very familiar with criminal laws, municipal laws, etc. I dont know of anything like what you are suggesting.

Let us know what you find out, I'm curious. No as for a law suit if something goes wrong, i.e. a delay in patient care, one of the elements you would have to prove would be that the jurisdiction involved, knew there was a closer unit, and elected not to call on it.

I was told it is known as "the closest car concept" and it is written into the Michigan 911 Legislation. I can't find the exact wording for it yet but the excerpts I have found basically say that in an emergency it is in the public's "best interest" to send the closest, most appropriate agency/unit regardless of jurisdictions, contracts, municipal aggreements, etc. The Michigan State Police initially were the ones to lobby for this because they were not being dispatched on calls due to so many County, City, and Township police agencies, but the legislation is written to apply to all emergency services.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.