SAM On-Scene Guide

Has anyone used this before?

Does it clean up well? Is it practical for every day usage?

I really don't like holding the big clunky clipboard for writing my notes on. I like the cheat sheet function, not to fall back on, but for organization purposes. Just wondering what the thoughts are.

[web:e1855e4d6c]http://www.sammedical.com/Products/SAM-OnScene-Guide/[/web:e1855e4d6c]

Oh, and yes, I want to bust out in a full sprint with it strapped to my leg.

I can't get any of the links on that page to open up for me. I'd like to see exactly what is on the pages. Maybe the pages are just so awesomely laid out that there is some merit to this idea.

To me it looks like one of those things that looks cool and is great on paper, but would quickly find itself in the junk closet at the station. Trust me, wearing things strapped to your leg is a pain in the arse and gets really old really fast. You definitely won't to do it all the time. And you won't take the time to put it on while enroute on a run. Guys out here are dumping their thigh holsters as soon as they can get a belt holster sent from home for that very reason.

And how often do you really write a lot about your patient while performing care? Vital signs and a few Rx drugs maybe? The 3 inch tape is more than sufficient for that. And any more than that you'd write directly on your PCR anyhow, cuz only an idiot would want to write everything twice. Besides, if you're writing that much, you're probably either sitting in the ambulance, where a clipboard is more convenient, or standing on a scene, where you can't write on your knee.

Even in an MCI I can't see any application for this. The triage officer is going to be standing with a clipboard, not sitting on his arse somewhere to write on his knee.

Not impressed.

The best use I've found for the SAM guide is to create scenarios for students/training. For actual scene use, it is too cumbersome. If you do use one, very quickly you will find that you are following the pattern that is suggested without it.

Kind of like the reference field guides. Valuable briefly, then falls quickly into not being used at all.

I might buy one when I get back from vacation. With out all the goodys, the book alone is 20 dollars. I wish I could look at it in person. If I do go through with it, I will try and put a review up.

I wasn't looking at the thigh holder, that just looks dumb and cumbersome.

I guess with a good laminator and a binding machine, I could probably make the same thing.

I love the picture of the sprinting EMT with the guide strapped to his leg like a taser gun and his purple gloves.

Does anyone use it?

I tend to use purple gloves quite often.... What's wrong with writing on tape?

Go to the "Sporty's Pilot Shop", to the link provided, for a different model kneeboard notepad. For someone like a pilot, who is usually in a seated position, it sounds good, but for someone who more likely will be standing, like us in EMS, perhaps not so good an idea, but then, my needs might not be the same as yours.

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&a...amp;DID=19#desc

Hate the purple gloves but if I don't make the order sometimes others order them.

Bought one of the Sam onscene guides with it's straps etc. Neat in theory but it just rides around and doesn't get used. Just write on my glove or the patient until I get to my notebook.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.