Armed for self protection

I have handled firearms all my life and with that knowledge I know that I do not want to be armed in a tactical situation. Its is more then firearm skills, If you don't train for the use of lethal force then you should not go into the field prepared with it. Kinda like going out on a medical call after watching "House". That being said on a call last week while examining a customer her dog bit me in the top of the head. I managed the event fine but I am thinking of carrying pepper spray, maybe one of those gelled ones.

doctors are the last to talk about writing have you ever read some of there writing ya my writing sux but i am able to fight fire

I don't care if this is from '08

Hands down, the BEST line ever written on this forum.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, my viewpoint is simple. Are there people with weapons other than the other members of the team?

YES: ok, I'll be standing around the corner from the building behind the BRT/ambo/cruiser. Bring the vice to me/ give me a call when the scene is secured. Either that or give me one of those evil black rifles and/or a sidearm too.

NO: ok, but all youse with the guns can go in first, except for the guy behind me for rear security

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention the knife on my pocket(which I carry as more of a habit and use primarily to open boxes and whatnot) that I always have on me. Plus a 7" stiletto I usually have in one of my boots, depending on which ones I wear that day. And yes, I have taken extensive defensive training in using it. I know if it were to come to a situation that I had to use either on duty, I would be fired, and quite possibly charged criminally. Yes i try to stay out of those situations, but you never know. My philosophy is that I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 (probably 8, I'm a "husky" dude).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering the strict weapon laws, carrying a weapon is in Germany way out of bounds.

There are however certain areas, where EMS personnell runs with bullet proof vests (yeah, that`s something different from armed self-protection, but still).

The other day I saw a documentary about EMS in South Africa, reffering to some guys running in a township. Those guys carried routinely a knife and a gun.

While most people would probably agree that my big shears are probably a weapon, we are not allowed to carry weapons. We are not required to, but allowed to wear a Kevlar vest at our own expense. I personally hope to never have to carry a gun, but I do see the possibility of pepper spray or tasers.

Maybe midazolam blow darts?

While most people would probably agree that my big shears are probably a weapon, we are not allowed to carry weapons. We are not required to, but allowed to wear a Kevlar vest at our own expense. I personally hope to never have to carry a gun, but I do see the possibility of pepper spray or tasers.

Maybe midazolam blow darts?

I agree. I like the Midazolam idea. I have many times thought a Haldol-pen similar to the epi-pen is long overdue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.