Armed for self protection

I fully support all EMS personnel be armed, as well as legged. It makes skills like walking, CPR, and intubating much faster.

:):D:D:D:D

The only "tactical medical" team in our county is unarmed. I know a number of them went through a what amounted to an armed security guard course that under state law would allow them to work as, well, armed security guards. That never actually translated to the medics or EMTs carrying weapons while working the tactical scene.

An informal survey of my co-workers finds that about a third of us are armed off the job (PA has concealed carry laws so those of us who carry do so legally).

to quote TACKLEBERRY: "GUNS GUNS when do we get GUNS!!!?????????"

however it is a double edged sword. If you have a gun it is one more piece of equipment you need to make sure you secure, so it doesn't get away from you.

I for one am all for it ,, if the Tac team members are sworn L.E... NOT howeverif they are a 5 day WONDER boy or girl "Tactical medic"... full fledged academy grads ONLY.

• 7 months later...

Ok, being the FNG (F'ing new guy) in this site, I'm gonna go ahead and post my "tactical" (yes, pun intended) two cents on this issue...being on both sides of this...IE, first responder AND cop in the military (now retired)...I am a bit torn on this. Yes, I understand Geneva Conventions, non-combatant rules, yada yada yada...however, the world has changed...The temperment of the world has changed and it seems these days that the US is the only one really abiding by the rules (when the news crews are rolling tape anyway!)...In order to remain a non-combatant, then medics cannot carry...HOWEVER, in the midst of a war, I think EVERYONE in the area should carry. I tell you what...it's easier to take out a sniper from 300 yards away with an M4 than a 12 gauge syringe! I know the code is to save lives...but sometimes, I think it's okay that the life saved is your own!

So...I think, (Yes, i do that sometimes!) in certain hostile situations, medics should carry weapons. It's seems a little contradictory but if you take a bullet in the head, how you gonna treat all the other vics? And like they say, "You gotta take care of Numero UNO first!"

Ok, being the FNG (F'ing new guy) in this site, I'm gonna go ahead and post my "tactical" (yes, pun intended) two cents on this issue...being on both sides of this...IE, first responder AND cop in the military (now retired)...I am a bit torn on this. Yes, I understand Geneva Conventions, non-combatant rules, yada yada yada...however, the world has changed...The temperment of the world has changed and it seems these days that the US is the only one really abiding by the rules (when the news crews are rolling tape anyway!)...In order to remain a non-combatant, then medics cannot carry...HOWEVER, in the midst of a war, I think EVERYONE in the area should carry. I tell you what...it's easier to take out a sniper from 300 yards away with an M4 than a 12 gauge syringe! I know the code is to save lives...but sometimes, I think it's okay that the life saved is your own!

So...I think, (Yes, i do that sometimes!) in certain hostile situations, medics should carry weapons. It's seems a little contradictory but if you take a bullet in the head, how you gonna treat all the other vics? And like they say, "You gotta take care of Numero UNO first!"

I just wanted to point out that Medics ARE armed... At least they are on this side of the border... What army were you in that it wasn't so?

MP's (Which you claim to be) are also EXTREMELY well versed in the geneva conventions, being that they are responsible for enforcing them and recognizing violations. So it surprises me that you wouldn't know that although they are non-combatants under the Geneva Conventions, Medical Technicians deployed on operations bear arms to defend both their patients and themselves. They are not permitted to bear Offensive arms like grenade launchers and Machine guns, but both sidearms and rifles are permitted without sacrificing non-combatant status.

Therefore, using your example: A sniper IS easier to take out with an M4 than a syringe. And that is exactly what a Med Tech in my army would use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.