? for Paramedics.

I'm looking for some advice before going to Paramedic school ..

I'm currently an EMT basic working for a private 911 ambulance service on a bls unit and have been since sept 06.

I've taken a phlebotomy course and will have psych and a basic arrythmia course prior to the academy start. BUT I cant get into A&P courses prior to the academy start, Will this be my downfall? oh and I dont really like math... Or do they teach it in school?

I'd like to get some opinions from you guys since you've been there done that. I've got my recommedations and app etc, just have to submit it...

any advice is appreciated

-ryan

I'm looking for some advice before going to Paramedic school ..

Good idea to find out what you are in for.

I've taken a phlebotomy course and will have psych and a basic arrythmia course prior to the academy start. BUT I cant get into A&P courses prior to the academy start, Will this be my downfall? oh and I dont really like math... Or do they teach it in school?

The education you've received to this point will help, but A&P is more important than the others. Since you can't get into one beforehand, maybe you could find the book and read up on the material. This isn't going to give you the same experience the full class will, but you will at least be exposed to the information. Math isn't really a requirement, but you will end up doing some fairly simple calculations. If you've had algebra before, you should be okay.

Good luck to you.

Well, I commend your incentive as this is what will guide you along the path to the Dark Side.

When I first started out I found 2 books of great value...yes, I AM a Slow learner, but they worked very well for me.

ps a crappy speller too...lol (edit)

Called The Anatomy COLORING BOOK and PHYSIOLOGY COLORING BOOK, in fact after I showed my instructors they adopted this as recomended reading er (colouring) the canadian spelling...Eh!

A Canfield Press / Barnes and Noble Book, a Department of Harper & Row, Publishers.

cheers

I am starting paramedic school on August 20th- I have the physiology and the anatomy coloring books... they absolutely rock... I can't believe I lived this long so ignorant.. :? good luck with the studying.

You might want to get the BRS (Board Review Series) anatomy (by Chung) and/or physiology (Constanza) books. They're small, concise, and contain only the most important points. You will probably need other resources when you start (eg. the head and neck part in the BRS anatomy book is useless), but this should give you a start, at least what to expect.

Also, the "Made Ridiculously Simple" books are supposed to be good. I've ordered them from Amazon, but I haven't gotten them yet. "Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple" especially, is supposed to be very good. It uses mnemonics a lot, in fact, the mnemonics in common use, like Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle for the carpal bones and Ron Beats Bad Men for the contents of the cubital fossa, come from that book.

Yeah, ideally you would have had A&P instead of the phlebotomy and EKG classes. Neither of those are common downfalls for students. Most common downfalls are cardiology (not EKGs, but actual cardiology) and pharmacology. A strong A&P foundation makes comprehension of those two topics much easier.

Plus 5 for considering any of this ahead of time. I think you'll do fine, but don't get through the course and think that, since you're a paramedic, you don't still need to go back and get those A&P and microbiology classes done. And, of course, any school that doesn't require those as PRErequisites probably sucks, so beware.

Good luck!

You may want to pick up something like The Complete Guide to Medical Math if math is a challenge for you. Some instructors will take the time to show you shortcuts, others will just write a formula up on the board and figure you will get it or you will get a job at McDonald's. You are going to need to be able to figure out drug dosages, drip rates, and the like. A little self-study will help you breeze through the math problems when you get there.

Oh yes in passing don't get "stuck" in the "naughty bits" pages as Dust did!

One can go blind...I heard ?

Was that my outside voice, like again?

cheers

Oh yes in passing don't get "stuck" in the "naughty bits" pages as Dust did!

One can go blind...I heard ?

Was that my outside voice, like again?

cheers

Hey Dust which book has the best "naughty bits" pages? It's um for um research yea thats it research.

Oh and OP hope you the best in school.