Any Advice?

Hey Ya'll,

Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with rude "not with the program" students for whom you just want to bash there head in with a shovel? I have an ass in my bls/guard class that is nearly impossible to teach. . and i can't kick him out due to "Political ties". . . . Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Becca

You could try making him your "Honourary Training Dummy". One instructor I knew did that to a trouble maker when I was in the reserves. They duct taped the "dummy" to a spine board then stood them up in a corner and "forgot" they were there for about 20 minutes, by making the trouble maker the center of attention in an uncomfortable way the trouble maker soon gave up.

The next time he's rude and disruptive in your class tell him to either go in the hallway or go take a break.

Do that every single time that he's like that.

He might just be (and I mean just be) smart enough to figure it out.

Or you document every time he's disruptive and bring that to your powers that be.

The one I think might work best is this

call a meeting of the top one or two people in the class. Ask them for suggestions on how to deal with this yahoo. Tell them that he is jeopardizing their class and class time and that since you are having to spend so much time dealing with him that they might not be getting their money's worth or getting your best effort. Make sure the class members you choose to talk to are not this guys buddies or you will have a bigger issue.

Finally, a final suggestion - send a anonymous letter to the dickwad. Say that you are upset that he is being so disruptive and you wish that he would either Go away or shut the F up. He won't know who sent it to him and he might just settle down.

Oh one other thing, Go to your higher ups over the class and threaten to stop teaching if they don't deal with him. Tell them he is a disruptive ass and that until he is reigned in you are not going to teach again until he's gone.

Gosh I'm full of ideas, you could just go talk to him in the hall and ask him to settle down.

If all else fails, cut his brake lines and watch him fly.

. . and i can't kick him out due to "Political ties".

Of course you would know better about him than I, but are you absolutely, positively sure that you "can't" kick him out? Political ties aren't always protective. Not everybody has parents like Paris Hilton who will back them, no matter what. It is quite possible that not only would his ties not be interested in protecting him if he is a dick, but that they might also have great respect for you for doing the right thing without fear of politics.

Not saying to do this, of course. But do consider realistically the personalities involved, because many of them would stand by your decision and beat his arse for embarrassing them.

Tough call though. Ultimately, Ruffs final suggestion may be the most humane way to go. Save his family a lot of embarrassment, and possibly save the lives of many patients in the future. Sometimes you gotta crack a few eggs to make fruit salad.

Until then, when he gets on a roll, just stop your instruction altogether and just let him go. Stare him down. Make no effort to stop him until he runs out of steam. By then, the whole class and you are staring at him in awkward silence. Peer pressure takes over from there.

Good luck!

P.S. You do mean National Guard, as opposed to like a lifeguard class or something, right?