Does any one have knowledge on air ride

Ok today my service looked at a 2000 lifeline with a 72" headroom and air ride. the only way we can get one with 72" headroom is with the air ride so we can lower it to get into the shed. So to the point we were test driving it and every now and then about ever 10 min. the compressor turns on for the airbags. Is it normal for the compressor to turn on that often or should we be worried.

Air ride trucks aren't THAT bad.

I'm having trouble understanding your question about the compressor??? The compressor should run 24/7 and "purge" (hissing sounds) when the air tanks are filled to a pre set PSI rating.

If your refering to the frequent "purging" of the system, the mechanic should check it out. More then likely there is water somewhere in the system. The dryer component of the system should keep the water out but if the truck sits for a while or the filter hasn't been changed, it usually does that.

As warm as it has been lately, the compressor is going to blow off air more frequently as it tries to purge water entering the system due to humidity. For this reason, when your shift is over, Air tanks should be drained daily to prevent water staying in your air system which as you are aware decreases the effectiveness of the brakes and your airride.

Depending on your location, air tanks need to be drained daily in the winter. This is a must to prevent freeze up.

My experience with Air ride ambulances is minimal. The experience I do have is not a good one. I personally do not like riding in the back. Makes me sea sick :-& . Another county had one roll over, although I believe that was due to the n00b driver not being familiar with the unit.

Most models, normal.

Air rides suck.

Definitely agree. We have two Freightliners, and the Air Rides are always being repaired. Unless you need it for Critical Care Transport/Neonatal, where a big box is necessary for equipment, it's not worth it, in my humble opinion, of course.

• 1 month later...

Depending upon the style of chassis you have dictates how the air compressor for the air ride system should work.

If you have a light-duty ambulance (for example, an F-series chassis), it will have a electrically-operated compressor running form 12 VDC power. The compressor should only operate to fill the on-board air storage tank(s) that should be an integral part of any good air ride system. If your chassis doesn't have at least one tank, you got shortchanged when you bought the vehicle or had the system retrofitted onto the chassis. Electrically operated air compressors are not designed to operate continuously. They are designed for intermittent operation to refill the air storage tank when it reaches a pre-set low level. If you have a tank and the air compressor is still running all of the time, you may have a problem with the pressure switch or a major leak somewhere in the system that is causing air loss. If your vehicle is sitting parked at the station and the air ride system is "down", causing you to wait when you start the rig for the compressor to pump up the rear air suspension before you leave the station, you have a problem. All such systems should be plumbed and maintained to retain their air pressure for at least 24 hours without leaking down.

On medium-duty chassis like International and Freightliner, they can be ordered with certain styles of larger engines where there is actually a compressor installed on the engine that is operated by the accessory drive belt. These are usually larger volume output compressors that are designed to support such chassis that are usually equipped not only with air ride systems, but items such as air ride cab seats, air horns, snow chains, etc.

Medium-duty chassis like Ford and GM/Chevrolet do not offer an engine driven compressor on most of their diesel engine line so you have to use electrically-driven compressors. Those typically have limits as to output and pressures so if you also add air horns, air ride seats, or snow chain systems, they usually add a dedicated air compressor pump and maybe additional storage tanks to the chassis to individually handle those items so the safety of the vehicle is not compromised by an inadequate amount of air flow and pressure.

Most air ride systems typically have the "cheaper" manual pull line to drain the collected moisture from the air tanks. You should know where that is installed on your vehicle. It it missing, ask your mechanic to install it! The moisture collects from the air that is drawn in by the air compressor. It is very important to periodically drain that water (even daily in some climates) or it may lead to rust/corrosion/failure of components of the air ride system. Even worse, if you live in areas that have freezing temperatures, the collected water vapor can freeze open or closed crucial valves, sensors, and even dislodge the air bags.

The occasional "hissing" you hear on medium-duty chassis (and the bigger over-the road trucks, too that have air-operated brake systems) are the additional cost automatic moisture ejectors installed on the air tanks to rid the system of the collected water without any thought on the part of the driver. Best way to go if you get a chassis that has it offered as an option. Most folks that order the bigger chassis with on-board engine-driven air compressors also order a heated air dryer to minimize the amount of moisture even drawn into the entire air system by the air compressor. This drastically extends the life of the system and provides improved performance and safety. Costs very little when compared to the overall chassis price.

As for air ride smoothness, there are several things that can be done to drastically improve the ride of any vehicle equipped with such an item. Anyone interested in the suggestions can contact me Dale@excellance.com and I will be happy to help you troubleshoot any problems you may be having.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.