A call to arms! EMT-B's defend yourself!

I've always had the same requirement for my BLS partners, and it is quite simple.

Do what I need you to do, when I need you to do it. If I don't have to tell you when and what that is, so much the better. If I do have to tell you, so be it, but don't expect me to spend a lot of time explaining to you how.

If you need clarification on why I did, or did not do something, ask later. I'll be glad to explain it.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, you asked the question, you got an answer you didn't like - tough -

in no place did i call you stupid, but it look like you were not sure what you were talking about anyway?!? :?

I don't think the point of my post was drugs or memorization

:shock:

Have you ever been out in the woods (the bush for you Oz) and suddenly all the crickects and frogs stopped making noise and you knew there was some dangerous predator waiting near you?

This thread seems very quiet as we all await Dust's comments.

This thread does remind me of something though...

:3some:

Peace,

Marty

Have you ever been out in the woods (the bush for you Oz) and suddenly all the crickects and frogs stopped making noise and you knew there was some dangerous predator waiting near you?

This thread seems very quiet as we all await Dust's comments.

This thread does remind me of something though...

:3some:

Peace,

Marty

:D:lol::lol::lol:

<<<<<<<<<< cues up them music from jaws>>>>>>>>>>>

[stream:da8c538fa8]http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~dwwilson/jaws.mid[/stream:da8c538fa8]

None of these posts have said why EMTs are beneficial to the field. They've all said what EMTs should do or should know or should pursue.

The challenge was:

Explain to the masses why Basics are not useless, and are more than drivers/taxi attendants.

This is not asking what they should be able to do. This is not asking what they should be able to know. This isn't asking what they should be able to pursue.

It wants to know *why* EMTs are useful. Why are they good to the system overall? What benefit do they serve? Why am I better off with an EMT partner over a medic partner?

Once you've identified the why, you then have to justify it in measurable ways. Justify your arguments. Be ready with solid examples.

So far, those who've attempted have fallen short.

So, please, tell us. Why are EMTs beneficial to the system?

-be safe

Bushy, I already know you don't give anything I say credit, and you won't look at any other opinions. That was learned in the chatroom a few times.

You called me out saying I don't know how Dust would feel about this, but you wouldn't respond to my question for you to elaborate. How then, can you say I don't know?

Dust and I have had a few discussions on these boards about basics, I advocate for them, but only the ones that deserve it.

You go to Medic school. You learn Paramedicine. You learn the human body. You memorize drug reatcions, not protocols. And then you go out and you use what you learned on a truck.

How do you get that I am saying to become a cookbook medic? I know I could have elaborated a little bit more. Probably even used a better choice of words. What I was getting at was you learn the reasons behind what you are doing. Not memorizing a book of spells.

Basics have their place, see my post on the "NEWLY CERTIFIED EMT BASIC" thread, it gives you some more insight on how I feel about this.

I am a Basic, and I may stay a basic the rest of my life if I decide to make 911 or Law Enforcement my career. But if I go with EMS or Fire, I know I will be going to medic school and learning what I can to make myself better. As it is, I try to keep up with the current advances, I try to learn what I can about emergency medicine so I can better help both my medics and my patients.

No, I think you just don't want to take the time to elaborate on your statements. I have admitted I made a statement that wasn't clear and explained it and the meaning behind it. Why can you not do the same?

And any body working in pre-hospital care is in the field of paramedicine, so why not do it properly from the start.

Plus 5 for the quote of the month. :thumbright:

It amazes me how people completely lack the ability to think outside of the decrepit box we find ourselves in. Just because we currently have a disjointed system devoid of any foundation or continuity doesn't mean it must always be this way. If your 35 year old mobile home is falling apart, you don't just remodel it. You bulldoze it and build a new home from the foundation up.

And the few here who have offered up any defence of Basics have so far failed at making a point. We want to know why they, as basics, are useful. To tell us that, you need to tell us why they are more useful to me than anybody else off the streets. It doesn't take a 120 hour first aid course to be able to follow directions, be a gofer, and drive safely. My little sister can do that. And another paramedic could do it better than any of you. So why wouldn't I want another medic as my partner instead of you?

Remember, if you can't do the same share of the work that I can do, then you aren't my partner at all. You're just my helper.

So again, the point here is to tell us why this three week class makes you an indisposable element of prehospital care system from an operational and medical standpoint.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.