EMS talks falter over wage offer

EMS talks falter over wage offer

Kim Guttormson

Calgary Herald

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Talks between the city and its EMS staff broke down over wages Wednesday, paving the way for the union to consider voting on strike action.

"The wage proposal fails to reflect the value of the service we provide to the city," Bruce Robb, president of the paramedics' union, said of the city's offer of 12 per cent over three years.

"Other city employees with similar skills, technical diplomas or degrees are making significantly more."

EMS is losing employees who can't afford to live in Calgary on what they make, he added.

While Robb wouldn't outline the increase the union is asking for, he acknowledged it's "significantly more."

EMS is not deemed to be an essential service, which means that unlike firefighters and police, paramedics can go on strike.

Although Premier Ed Stelmach said earlier this month he's in favour of declaring it essential, nothing could be done until at least the fall, when the legislature is back in session.

By walking away from the bargaining table Wednesday and asking the mediator to file his report, the union has set in motion a process that could land the timing for strike action in early July.

Once the mediator files his report Friday, a 14-day cooling-off period begins.

When that ends on July 7, the union would be in a position to take a strike vote. If given a mandate, they could walk off the job with 72 hours' notice.

However, Robb said no decision on any action will be taken until after meetings with the membership Friday and Monday.

"What course of action we'll take is the question," he said. "Mediation came to a grinding stop, but until we get direction from our members, that's where we're at."

City spokeswoman Vickie Megrath said the wage offer made to the paramedics is the same one accepted by the transit union last month. The transit workers were on the verge of walking out on a one-day strike when a deal was reached, although wages were not the main sticking point.

"We think the wage proposal is fair," Megrath said regarding EMS. "It reflects the value we place on our paramedics and is affordable to taxpayers."

Robb said an EMT makes $21.96 an hour to start, with a top wage of $26.70 an hour. The hourly wages for paramedics range from $23.74 to $30.26, while crew chiefs make $30.26 to $33.54.

The other salary issue is the shift differential, Robb said. The city has offered a 10 cent an hour increase to 85 cents.

Paramedics last went on strike in 1991, first going out for 10 days in December before reaching a deal and then walking off the job again in early January 1992 after city council rejected the agreement.

Robb said there have been three strike votes taken over the past 16 years.

The paramedics' union, CUPE local 3421, has been without a contract for almost a year.

kguttormson@theherald.canwest.com

© The Calgary Herald 2007

City's labours continue with EMS

More contract woes loom after transit strike averted

By SHAWN LOGAN, SUN MEDIA

The city's EMS union walked away from contract talks yesterday, with sources saying they're seeking double the pay increase handed to transit workers earlier this month.

Bruce Robb, president of Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 3421, said two days of mediated talks broke down, with a wide gap in what the city is offering for a salary boost versus what the union is seeking.

"The city's offer fails to reflect the value of the service we provide," Robb said.

"We were never even close -- I think the members will be very unhappy when they see what the city is offering."

The union asked the mediator to write-out of the talks, meaning nothing can be resolved.

Alberta labour laws require a 14-day cooling off period before the union can consider job action, including a strike.

Robb said members will meet tomorrow and Monday to view the city's latest offer and decide what to do next.

He noted talks managed to resolve all outstanding issues except two monetary items -- wages and shift differential.

City spokeswoman Vickie Megrath said she believes the offer from the city is fair.

"There is room for discussion but we think what we have offered does recognize the valuable service they provide to Calgarians and what taxpayers can afford to pay," she said.

Robb wouldn't say what the union is seeking because members have yet to see the deal, however he noted it is more than what the city's transit union settled for.

Sources tell the Sun the union is seeking about double the 12% over three years Amalgamated Transit Union Local 583 settled for earlier this month.

Robb said Calgary paramedics make less than their counterparts in B.C. and Ontario, but Megrath said the local employees are the highest paid in Western Canada.

The average annual salary for a paramedic in Calgary in 2006 was around $75,000.

The union's 400 employees have been without a contract for almost one year.

The city has been trying to have paramedics declared an essential service, eliminating their ability to strike.

EMS union walks away from bargaining talks

By SHAWN LOGAN, SUN MEDIA

Fresh off of curtailing a looming transit strike, the city may be facing more labour strife after the city’s EMS union walked away from contract talks today.

Bruce Robb, president of Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 3421, said talks broke down after two days of mediated talks with a wide gap in what the city is offering for a salary boost versus what the union is seeking.

“The city’s offer fails to reflect the value of the service we provide,” Robb said.

“We were never even close — I think the members will be very unhappy when they see what the city is offering.”

The union asked the mediator to write-out of the talks, meaning nothing can be resolved.

Alberta labour laws require a 14-day cooling off period before the union can consider job action, including a strike.

Robb said members will meet Friday and Monday to view the city’s latest offer and decide what to do next.

He noted talks managed to resolve all outstanding issues but two monetary items including wages and shift differential, which remain on the table.

City spokeswoman Vickie Megrath said she believes the offer from the city is fair and won’t break the bank.

“It’s disappointing the union decided to end mediated discussions because we want to get a settlement and the only way to do that is at the bargaining table,” she said.

“There is room for discussion but we think what we have offered does recognize the valuable service they provide to Calgarians and what taxpayers can afford to pay.”

Robb wouldn’t say what the union is seeking because members have yet to see the deal, however he noted it is more than what the city’s transit union settled for.

Robb said Calgary paramedics make less than their counterparts in B.C. and Ontario but Megrath noted the local employees are actually the highest paid in Western Canada.

The average annual salary for a paramedic in Calgary in 2006 was around $75,000.

The union’s 400 employees have been without a contract for almost one year.

The city has been trying to have paramedics declared an essential service, eliminating their ability to strike and earlier this month Premier Ed Stelmach pledged to consider the request.

i agree! it's pathetic what we get paid here in the states. my first job as an EMT-B i was getting paid $6/hr

When I was down in Texas taking TOMSC at Cypress Creek... us three Canucks were appalled on how many Medics held full-time positions and worked part time as LEOs or FFs just to make ends meat and survive!

B.

ok, let me clarify this.

I do not nor have I ever supported a Union.

If the union votes to strike that will make me sick. I'd hate to need an ambulance in the town.

911 what's your emergency

"I need an ambulance"

911 "Oh their on strike you need to get yourself to the hospital"

A little dramatic but to strike just makes me sick. They should not be allowed to strike.

I'm sure that my opinion is not supported by those on the board who are unionized but it's my opinion.

ok, let me clarify this.

I do not nor have I ever supported a Union.

If the union votes to strike that will make me sick. I'd hate to need an ambulance in the town.

911 what's your emergency

"I need an ambulance"

911 "Oh their on strike you need to get yourself to the hospital"

A little dramatic but to strike just makes me sick. They should not be allowed to strike.

I'm sure that my opinion is not supported by those on the board who are unionized but it's my opinion.

I am also in agreement. If they strike, even threaten to I believe this will tarnish their image and leave a bad taste in the publics mouth. I am a strong union supporter and have served on our Executive for many years... I believe there are better ways to get your message across... work to rule campaigns, refusal of OT, pamphlets, t-shirts with messages on it, etc...

Having many friends/family within Calgary EMS and/or Fire... I hear on a regular basis new employees quiting due to the price of housing and zero rent controls. This is something I believe the City of Calgary needs to address.

B.

this just makes me sick.

je ne comprend pas. what makes you sick regarding this issue?

on a side note, the average salary comment - $75,000 - that is total and complete BS. Do the math based on the first post - which is an accurate portrayal of the hourly wages, and it is impossible for the average salary to be $75,000. Typical of the Calgary Sun...their "journalism" skills are always... interesting.

Time to write a letter to the editor!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.