Driving with "Due Regard" for others

Ambulance driving safety is a great point. It needs to be addressed more often. Instead of just handing over the keys to someone and stating have at it.

If you have a problem with me examining the facts befor making a decision on guilt, I am sorry. I dont automaticaly place blame on someone, till every side of the story has been heard. Your article didnt make it clear as to who was at fault.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wonder what part of lights, sirens and o2 cylinders becoming projectiles the public battles with... But alas, our job is to help those in need as well as think for those with absolutelly no common sense.

If just one newbie or even an old timer reads this and says to themselves "that is a good point, I may re examine my own actions", then I have done a great service.

And for 14 cents a day... you can feed Sally Struthers.

Speaking of driving safely, how about yapping on the cell phone and texting while driving?

I'm working for a private service as sumemr gig and many of my partners do this. Drives ne nuts, especially when we have a pt. on board.

Speaking of driving safely, how about yapping on the cell phone and texting while driving?

Is there not a company policy prohibiting it?

I'd give the guy one warning, then turn his arse in and refuse to work with him.

Is there not a company policy prohibiting it?

I'd give the guy one warning, then turn his arse in and refuse to work with him.

Now Dust you.. just a minute.......

Sorry Dust now where were we had to finish a call while dodging an idiot that came out of know where, now I'm back texting. Dang can't remember, OH crap watch out moron. Well the way people are driving guess I'll have to get back to you.

The Lieutenant in charge of FDNY EMS EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations Course) hates anyone behind the wheel of a department vehicle being distracted, either by cellphone, or even the radio-computer display screen, and the 2 way radio. Feels, and I agree, that the crew riding "shotgun" (passenger seat) should handle the screen and radio. When the crew is about to transport, any computer communications should be typed and sent before the vehicle is even put in gear.

Having said that, I recall on one midnight to 8 AM tour, hearing another unit from my station being given an assignment, and seconds later, my partner's cellphone ringing. It was the EMT driving the other unit, telling my partner that he was driving to their assignment!

As anyone on EMT City has already figured out, you cannot make this stuff up!

Yeah the driver needs to drive, and only drive. No talking on the radio, the cell phone, fumbling for the siren switch. The passenger needs to do all of that. And both sets of eyes need to be outside. You can start your report later................

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.