Driving with "Due Regard" for others

I was actually told by one of the people who are on that ambulance service that I needed to pay attention because they have the right of way.

Well, technically that is a true statement, but having the right of way doesn't equal permission to drive like an asshat.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, technically that is a true statement, but having the right of way doesn't equal permission to drive like an asshat.

I have to respectfully disagree JP. One does not have the right of way at a red light. As you approach the light L & S you must stop or slow down to make sure all approaching traffic sees you and has yielded the right of way. We can not just ASSume they will stop.

I do however, agree with the second part of your statement :D .

It's funny, how many of the accidents probably could have been avoided by common sense, for example slowing down for intersections to make sure that they are clear...The 5 or 10 seconds it takes to slow down at a stop or yield sign to look. I don't think that there is a situation that warrants blowing through a light or a stop sign or to drive recklessly, a little common sense goes a long way.

Here it is a requirement to take an AVOC course, are there other areas with similar requirements?

New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law

Section 1104. Authorized emergency vehicles.

(a) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when involved in an emergency operation, may exercise the privileges set forth in this section, but subject to the condition herein stated.

(:D The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may:

1. Stop, stand or park irrespective of the provisions of this title;

2. Proceed past a steady red signal, a flashing red signal or a stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation;

3. Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property;

4. Disregard regulations governing directions of movement or turning in specified directions.

© Except for an authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle, the exemptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when audible signals are sounded from any said vehicle while in motion by bell, horn siren, electronic device or exhaust whistle as may be reasonably necessary, and when the vehicle is equipped with at least one lighted lamp so that from any direction, under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle, at least one red light will be displayed and visible.

(e) The forgoing provisions shall not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall such provisions protect the driver from the

consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.

(f) Notwithstanding any other law, rule or regulation to the contrary, an ambulance operated in the course of an emergency shall not be prohibited from using any highway, street or roadway; provided, however, that an authority having jurisdiction over any such highway, street or roadway may specifically prohibit travel thereon by ambulances if such authority shall deem such travel to be extremely hazardous and would endanger patients being transported thereby.

There is the "right of way" and there is the right way. While ambulances, fire and police may have a right of way, they need to drive the right way so as to arrive safely and return safely. The unit I refer to drives with total disregard to others and their own safety, to them its a joy ride. Believe me if I ever have an accident in that community and I am conscious, I will sign a refusal of treatment form, even if I am dying to avoid riding with them and I am not alone in that regard.

the EMT should have stopped at the intersection, he didnt, he's at fault end of story.

Word. That's the bottom line.

Weird how people try to complicate emergency driving. It isn't complicated at all. In fact, the rules are the very same as the rules for normal driving. There is only one special rule for emergency driving, and that is NEVER PASS ON THE RIGHT!

Other than that, emergency driving should be done exactly as if you have no lights and siren on at all. Any deviation from that standard puts you at fault for any incident.

Why do we have lights and sirens on ambulances again?

For pretty much the same reason that peacocks have colourful tail feathers.

Perpetuation of the species.

Without them, the number of people attracted to EMS would dwindle to almost a complete stop.

Am I missing something in this article? It never stated if there was a light or a stop sign. I don't stop at green lights in my personal vehicle do you? If he blew the light or a stop sign then its 100% his fault. Which I assume would have been mentioned in the article.

Everyone jumps to the conclusion that this must be some whacker with no regard for personal safety, and disregard for traffic laws. I have been hit many time while responding to calls. Thank GOD no serious injuries have resulted. That however is the nature of the job. When you wok in an area where you cant get two miles in traffic without responding, it is a necessary evil. I use my lights and sirens to move people along, to alert them to the presence of an emergency vehicle approaching. I don't drive like a asshole that thinks he has a license to break every law in the book.

Accidents happen, they are unavoidable. If this truly was an accident.

If he was just knucklehead on a joyride then he has to deal with the consequences.

I will reserve my opinion till the full story surfaces, if it does.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.