Driving with "Due Regard" for others

I also assume when the elevator door opens their will be an elevator there. Maybe some day it wont be there, and technically it will be my fault cause I didn't check to see if it was there before I stepped in. I drive through intersections every day in an ambulance in my vehicle. I can only contol one persons behavior on this planet and that mine. If some knucklehead cant control his behavior, I cant help it or prevent it. No matter how prepared I am.

You can take precautions to reduce the chance of being in an accident, you cant eliminate that chance.

I wasn't arguing the fact about safe driving in EMS. I was arguing the fact that it was stated that all accidents are avoidable, and the actions of others can be predicted. I don't believe they can. I can do everything possible, and still die in a fiery wreck. Thats just the price you have to pay for living on a planet with 8 billion other people. You can assume that a percentage will not be prepared. Their decisions will effect you, through no fault of your own.

If you do choose to stop at green lights at intersections to check if someone is going to blow off the red light be prepared for what is coming from your backside. Cause I am sure there is a chance that someone may run the red light. I can gaurentee that some knuclehead back there putting on her lipstick is going to assume you wont be stopping at the green light.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also assume when the elevator door opens their will be an elevator there. Maybe some day it wont be there, and technically it will be my fault cause I didn't check to see if it was there before I stepped in.

Worked a patient that found out the hard way elevator wasn't there when doors open. Watch that first step it's a big one.

Am I missing something in this article? It never stated if there was a light or a stop sign. I don't stop at green lights in my personal vehicle do you? If he blew the light or a stop sign then its 100% his fault. Which I assume would have been mentioned in the article.

Everyone jumps to the conclusion

No one jumped to conclusion. I thought the part of the article that khanek was kind enough to colour red for us covered the fact the driver blew the stop sign.

Khanek, how are your stepdaughters friends? Last word we had was that some were in serious condition.

The ambulance attendants were treated and released as was the driver of the car. The female passenger of the car is out of the hospital and doing well. We haven't heard anything on the male passenger. Last we heard he was showing some improvement. We will be talking to my step daughter this weekend, I'll ask her then.

WHIT, I just wanted to clarify a few things for you as you apparently didn't see them in the original post. The ambulance was heading north on a side street, lights and sirens, when they blew threw the stop sign and t-boned the car which was heading east with the right-of-way. It is a very blind intersection especially from the side street. The ambulance hit the car with such force that it pushed the car all the way across the street, up the curb, and parked it in some ones front yard next to their house.

Plain and simple, the ambulance driver was grossly at fault. This was not a volunteer whacker either. It was a career employee with one of the biggest ambulance services in Minnesota.

Plain and simple, the ambulance driver was grossly at fault. This was not a volunteer whacker either. It was a career employee with one of the biggest ambulance services in Minnesota.
I guess he was a career whacker! :wink: If I had to guess, he won't be employed there for much longer.

The vehicle entered the intersection of Seventh Street Northwest without stopping, striking a Chevrolet Malibu driven by Thomas Vogel, 19, Faribault, according to the police.

I still dont see anything about a stop sign, or a red light.

The only mention of the intersection, was by the ambulance spokesperson who stated it was controlled.

Controlled by what a light, a sign, a crossing guard, aliens?

Yes I like to get all the facts before I pass judgement. Call me foolish.

I am sorry if theses people were friends of your or co-workers. I hope all are doing well.

I just like to get my ducks in a row, before I pass judgement and one article in a newspaper written murky at best isn't enough for me.

If his actions were cowboyish and he indeed blow a stop sign, or red light, I hope he is dealt with accordingly.

I also assume when the elevator door opens their will be an elevator there. Maybe some day it wont be there, and technically it will be my fault cause I didn't check to see if it was there before I stepped in. I drive through intersections every day in an ambulance in my vehicle. I can only contol one persons behavior on this

And that is my point. This would never happen to me or anybody else who is alert and aware of their surroundings. They survey the interior of the elevator before they just blindly walk in. It's common courtesy to allow those already inside to depart before you go charging in. It keeps you from getting bowled over. And it keeps you from sloshing through a puddle of urine that you would have seen if you had actually looked in before walking in.

This same situational awareness applies to all driving. In fact, it is the cornerstone of defensive driving.

The vehicle entered the intersection of Seventh Street Northwest without stopping, striking a Chevrolet Malibu driven by Thomas Vogel, 19, Faribault, according to the police.

I still dont see anything about a stop sign, or a red light.

The only mention of the intersection, was by the ambulance spokesperson who stated it was controlled.

Controlled by what a light, a sign, a crossing guard, aliens?

Yes I like to get all the facts before I pass judgement. Call me foolish.

Okay WHIT, as I know Faribault very well. The intersection is controlled. Unlike the article claims. Their is a stop sign on eighth Ave from both directions. Seventh street is a thru way. Traffic does not stop. They have the right of way. I believe that I have stated this MANY times. The ambulance blew this stop stop sign (stated MANY times) and t-boned the car. They are not co-workers, they are friends of my step-daughter. My thought is try really reading the thread and you could possibly get ALL the facts like everyone else. I believe I have stated them more than once.

Anymore questions, please ask.

BTW, the article states that the intersection was uncontrolled.

Amazing display of inability to read a post and process the information shared and then respond intelligently without resorting to name calling...(sarcasm).

No where did I say ALL or 100 percent of accidents are unavoidable. I did state they are avoidable if behaviors are modified and awareness maintained but that involves EVERYONE.

I was distressed at the mindset you posess, especially when you said "its just part of the job". That is the dangerous mind set that needs to change as there is never a justification for accepting an injury or crash as an expected part of the job. That is utterly ridiculous!

I also noted you said you had been hit MANY times, which again is evident that something somewhere needs to change. You did give one instance that seems to be unavoidable, but the whole "many times" just draws my attention. I certainly never wish to be your partner if your "luck" is that bad.

Again, no where did I say stop at green lights either, I believe my comment was to let off accelerator and maintain awareness.

Your comments thus far have refused to acknowledge the big picture which is the mindset and acceptance of accidents as part of the job. Instead you have chosen to resort to profanity and slanting of the topic which is a very unwise way to debate intelligently. It lends no credibility to your point of view.

I apologize to anyone that feels I may have hijacked the thread but I see it as being relevant. I will always seize a moment to teach and maybe correct a mode of thinking and this story opened the door for the discussion to head in that direction.

If just one newbie or even an old timer reads this and says to themselves "that is a good point, I may re examine my own actions", then I have done a great service.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.