Oilfield company warning- Red Star E.M.T

Relish

Fun fact too, did you know Janice went to an EMT school which is now defunct? Maybe that should have been my fourth indicator that something was -really- wrong with that outfit

Care to explain?

I was the last class of my Paramedic school.....

Fun fact too, did you know Janice went to an EMT school which is now defunct? Maybe that should have been my fourth indicator that something was -really- wrong with that outfit

Why does the fact that someone was in the last class of a school mean that there was a problem? I was in the last EMT class of a school... the reason it closed is because the guy that was running it became the department head of an ER, and was in the middle of a nasty divorce and couldn't keep everything going, so he had to let something go - he chose to close his training facility. Does that mean that my education wasn't any good? I still passed my ACP exam, and am fully employed, with no marks on my record...

I am sorry you got screwed by an oilfield company. I would like to say I am surprised, but I'm not... there are many fly by night operations.. ask tniuqs, and he will be able to give you a list as long as my arm of companies to avoid. I suspect you have learned your lesson - do your homework and research before signing on - if it seems too good to be true, it is.

Care to explain?

I was the last class of my Paramedic school.....

I should have clarified that last point, my bad. She went tp a school that went under and yet stil continues to advertise as accepting applications (if you don't happen to notice dates) and still has an active website http://www.members.shaw.ca/wcems/... I went through a now defunct program myself run through the University of Alberta, which has since changed hands to Lakeland College, Sometimes the best schools are the ones which are gone, I do think mine was. It was unfair to criticize her program, I'm sure it was a fine one. Really, the biggest red flags should have been the zebra and the drive through the night to the jobsite.

I am sorry you got screwed by an oilfield company. I would like to say I am surprised, but I'm not... there are many fly by night operations.. ask tniuqs, and he will be able to give you a list as long as my arm of companies to avoid. I suspect you have learned your lesson - do your homework and research before signing on - if it seems too good to be true, it is.

My arm is getting longer (btw) agreed their are over 190 industrial operators out in AB land many Ma and Pa shows that underbid the established operators ... but the real problem is that our regulatory body does not have any "investigators" one has to make a written formal complaint then they are more interested with protecting the "public" as opposed to regulating Industrial EMS

BUT OH + S does have VERY sharp teeth ...

I have observed unregistered individuals practicing.

Charging out for an ACP with less than a EMR kit in the gut wagon .... this is OH+S regulations fault in my opinion as they have not updated for 25 years ... hey an RN or Paramedic needs a bit more than a Level 3 FA kit ! sheesh.

Field Ambulances with no stretchers ???

AED with no screen on a job in a 3rd world country with 3 anti arrhythmic drugs .... LOL joke was "short code"

Meds so old that they are congealed in the vials, but are ordered and will be there soon .... pfft !

Monitors that do not work or have not been biomedical tested in years (its a yearly deal btw)

Lack of Medical Directors (or just they used to be and died and we are looking for a new one) +++++

And tires on the MTC .... thats the big one for me a DGA = dead give away.

Presently their is a moratorium on EMR applications for schools ... so buyer be ware, I have no comment on the institution noted above.

And if someone is not getting paid ... Employment Standards AB is NOT the way to go ... a Labour Lawyer is (learned my lesson the hard way)

cheers and welcome to the world of industrial EMS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.