how to use a window punch ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think PCB was addressing your "I know it all and fire fighters are s***, wanna-be but aint yet paramedic attitude." Im only an EMT-B/D but if I were your supervising medic and I handed you a center punch and told you to brake glass and you told me to have the firefighters do it, your training with my agency would be over. Get over yourself. Oh by the way, since only "real" paramedics dont roll hose, how much time do you spend doing it.

This is hardly worth a response, but I'll try. First, FF do the extrication. My job is to take care of the patient once they are extricated. My statement was just an observation. I thought FF's were tough but apparently are very delilcate if the can't take a gentle dig every now and then.

Your not my preceptor, but thanks for you input.

Was your last statement a question? ( note question mark )

The best way to use that window punch is to pick it up in your dominate hand hold it over a trash can and let go! I stoped using that style after going through two of them on one call. I now carry one that has two metal ends (one with a point) and a spring in the middle ( which you can get through Galls or the fire store.com) you just pull back and let go breaking the glass. It has never failed on me unlike the above type.

Clik the link to see what I am talking about.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product....ll_and_release/

The best way to use that window punch is to pick it up in your dominate hand hold it over a trash can and let go!

Hehe... nice one.

This 5" vehicle window punch is a must have for all first responders.

LMAO! :D

Disposable gloves are a "must have" for all first responders. A pocket mask is a "must have" for all first responders. PPE is a "must have" for all first responders. The only person that "must have" this thing is the ultimate wanker.

You know, I'm sure that someone could post asking about your favourite cholesterol meal at MacDonalds, or the hottest waitress at the local Hooter's, and someone would manage to turn it in to a "Fire vs EMS" argument.

This is a valid question, for those of us who work rural areas - there are times when Fire is not available, and extrication is up to EMS. We DO have units equipped with jaws and the rest of the toys.

I much prefer the double metal ends with the spring in the middle - have used them on a number of occasions, and have never had to try twice. Placed in the lower corner of the window, it takes very little extension or effort to gain access. Forget about the fancy trigger-operated units, simple is always better. (and the axe will NOT do it, BTW, unless your patient is already a metre away from the window and preferably already dead)

Heck whats all the fuss with these new fangled gadgets. Just go out and swipe an old steel car radio antenna. Hold it against the glass with the ball in the corner, pull ball back, let it go and it slaps the corner, broken glass. But I usually find it easier just to open the door. :P

Disposable gloves are a "must have" for all first responders. A pocket mask is a "must have" for all first responders. PPE is a "must have" for all first responders. The only person that "must have" this thing is the ultimate wanker.
Speaking of pocket masks...I'm assuming you mean a cloth face mask rather than a CPR mask. Anyone know a good way to keep these in good condition on your person. I tried keeping one in my pocket (in case I walk into a room and at that moment find out there's isolation precautions), but it gets worn away fast. I don't want to be wearing an ineffective mask.

Might not be a bad idea to put on a facemask when breaking glass as well. It tends to get in the air and it's not the greatest material to inhale...

LOL. That 5" external spring punch looks like something out of the S&M ideas book... not that there's anything wrong with that.

:lol:

Speaking of pocket masks...I'm assuming you mean a cloth face mask rather than a CPR mask.

No, I was talking about a CPR mask. Never heard of anybody carrying an N95 mask routinely. You trying to be the ultimate whacker, or what? :wink:

:lol:

No, I was talking about a CPR mask. Never heard of anybody carrying an N95 mask routinely. You trying to be the ultimate whacker, or what? :wink:

LOL, you know it, that's me.

I tried it when I was on a shift with more IFTs. On IFTs, we go up with no equipment other than O2 on the gurney and sometimes aren't warned of isolation precautions until we got there. I've never thought about carrying a CPR mask on-duty...our rig is always (per policy) 1 minute away...realistically 20 sec, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.