how to use a window punch ?

Well, not to get into specifics, but i was given a window punch, and it came with zero instructions, and i know these things are supposed to be spring loaded, but i have no idea how to load it, or use it .. did a google search and an EMT city search and came up empty ..

it looks like this one ... http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/center-punch/BCX43

thx

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridryder 911 has a good point, you should use something to help hold the glass together and make it easier to remove as a unit, plus less glass gets on the pt reducing the chance for additional cuts. I use duct tape, make an x with the lines going from one coorner to the opposite corner, then run to vertical strips to cut the window into thirds and leave some excess at the top of the window to grab and pull later. Grab the punch in the hand you are going to use and put the pointed sharp end out the pinkey side of your hand. now place the punch in a lower corner and make sure your hand is resting on the car door somehow to help prevent your hand from going through the window. Apply increasing pressure gently until the punch pops and goes through the window, the window will shatter. Now use the two handles of tape created earlier and pull the glass away from the patient and clean out any remaining bits in the window frame.

It should be noted that window punches only work on the side windows not the front or back windows due to their construction technique, it is actually a two pieces of laminate sandwiching a piece of glass. Increasingly this laminate type construction is being seen on the side windows as well.

You guys make this too complicated! :withstupid:

One thing to remember, if you don't have the contact paper or duct tape, break the window farthest from the pt, then gain access and cover them with your extracation blanket.

Some rear windows can be window punched, some cant. I belive most newer ones can. Be careful if the window has struts on it though, because they will pop right out at you when you do it so stay clear of them.

I prefer the Chuck Norris style, one quick KICK is all it takes.

Chuck is so dated...its all about McBain now:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.