12-leads on routine respiratory calls?

Medic26

Do you perform 12-leads on routine respiratory calls?  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, Always
    • NO, Never
    • Usually but not always
    • Rarely but sometimes

I have had the recent misfortune of learning that 12-leads in respiratory patients are of value and plan on performing them routinely in the future. To be honest this is not something that I had been exposed to nor have many of our providers in the region done this in the past. I was just looking to see what % across the board routinely perform them. Do you perform 12-leads often on routine respiratory complaint calls? :?:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say always. Too finite a description.

If a patient does not respond to the initial treatments provided, then I will obtain a 12 lead. The ECG is already in place while treatment begins, so a 12 lead is not a big problem.

Along with the 12 lead, you should consider capnography as well.

I would have to agree with the other posters. Not always, especially if it's a pt with a chronic respiratory problem like ashtma or COPD. But absolutely for new-onset, acute respiratory problems. Capnography is an absolute must though, it's a great tool.

stever

Our latest protocol update suggests a 12-lead for almost everything. It may seem excessive, and we don't always do it. Respiratory and chest pain definitely. I feel it is one of those CYA things to do and it only takes a minute to obtain. I mean, there are a lot of related illness associated with an cardiac event. I'll do my 12-lead sooner rather than be surprised later.

12 leads seem to be a big issue with a lot of people. Some are all for it, others are morally opposed to them. Just the other day, I had a patient (as a student) complaining if chest pain, nursing home gave him 3 nitro, and was on some pain med that i cant remember. He denied difficulty breathing, but he was showing signs of it. Anyway... BLS was having trouble getting out the door, so i plowed in a line, and instead of just standing there with nothing to do, I did a 12 lead. And i got lectured about how poor judgment it was later.....

Regardless of what i was told by this preceptor, I was always taught in school, respiratory problems were often associated with cardiac. So, if I have the time, I will get a 12 lead on them.

Resp distress has more causes than just the lungs. The heart is also a major cause, so a 12 lead is in order. Obviously you need to use your clinical judgement as with everything else.

hey now.... im the one that wanted to do the 12 lead.. and i did do the 12 lead.. i was scolded by someone else later for doing it....

No disrespect meant towards you. I was just making a general statement, not specifically towards you. Sorry about the confusion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.