BC Ambulance Service hiring process

Here goes. I'm currently working my way through the BCAS hiring process and I have a few questions for those who have been through it. I've finished both my class 4 and EMA licensing for my current level of training. Also I have submitted all the requisite paperwork that needs to be included with the application package. I finally have an interview June 29th.

1) The interview is a "behavioral based" interview. I have zero experience with this type of interview and as a result it makes me a little nervous. What is it like? Is there anything specific I should do to prepare?

2) Currently I'm licensed as an EMR, but I would like to take my PCP ASAP. Would that be considered a plus or a minus? I understand that they want the best trained people possible but having new hires take time off right away to go for more education isn't exactly cost effective.

3) I can survive on $30000 a year if that's what it takes to get started but I don't know if that amount is a realistic level of earnings. Should I be prepared to work a second job to supplement until I'm able to finish my PCP?

Thanks for any replies/advice in advance.

Ed

Just to let you know dude, I believe there are only 2 BC guys who post here even remotely regularly.

$30k a year as an EMR (like EMT-Bish education? What like 120 hours or something)? Dude, that's pretty good. In my province you would be making zero dollars a year as an EMR because they don't function in EMS here. In fact, EMR is generally worthless here, but I digress...

My application is in process for BCAS as an ACP. I'm good (they have told me, at least education wise), I just have to wait. I hope I don't have to do a "behavioral based" interview though...It may bring back those unfortunate incidents in the past...

I've said too much...

$30k a year as an EMR (like EMT-Bish education? What like 120 hours or something)? Dude, that's pretty good. In my province you would be making zero dollars a year as an EMR because they don't function in EMS here. In fact, EMR is generally worthless here, but I digress...

My application is in process for BCAS as an ACP. I'm good (they have told me, at least education wise), I just have to wait. I hope I don't have to do a "behavioral based" interview though...It may bring back those unfortunate incidents in the past...

I've said too much...

They are doing an active employment drive for ACP's right now so you should be set. $30k a year would be about a $20k a year pay cut from what I currently earn working at a sawmill running various equipment and covering first aid. That's why I ask if that's a realistic earning potential. Losing extended health and taking a $20k a year pay-cut is a pretty big leap but I'm prepared to do it if that's what it takes. The biggest reason I want to get started with BCAS sooner than later is because I will then have the option of doing my PCP over 8 months as opposed to 4. More time to absorb the information in the compressed BC program and vastly better experience than what I'm getting at the sawmill.

Ed,

I may be one of the two that Vs-eh refers too.

First off. Go get your PCP asap. EMR, though not useless is pretty low on the totem pole. Many small communities in BC have EMR's working but with the JI and Douglas College pumping out PCP's, EMR is no better than OFA III. I know it is an added expense even more so with the licensing exam fees but in the long run you will earn that money back. If you make the right choices.

Secondly the interview is pretty straight forward. They will ask you questions like, "What is the most difficult decision you have had to make in the work place, What was the result and did you consider all the consequences before making your decision? How would you have better handled the situation if given another chance?"

Be yourself. Don't offer-up any more information than they ask for. And for God's sake relax.

Very few don't pass the interview process. You have to be a real deviant or nut-job to crash and burn.

When you pass don't limit yourself to just working in the part-time stations close to Vancouver (if that is where you are starting out) BC is a big province with lots of interesting places to live and work. When I started out I took the same advice and moved to the small town I was first assigned to. Tough at first being a city boy and living in a village of 700 but it was interesting and I soon developed a trust with the locals as I was one of them and not some ambulance guy that shows up on the week ends to work.

By working in smaller stations first for a couple of years while you build seniority you also build confidence and skill. It is a more relaxed pace an there are usually good crew-mates that will help you along the way. You also get exposed to a variety of calls. Every station has their common calls but each station will have calls that are exclusive to them due to location, environment and resident populations.

If you have no strings tying you to staying in Vancouver or what ever city you may live in currently then consider moving to your post.

Speaking of work, Ya get a second job if you need to. In small towns that can be very easy in most cases. Most of the time they will understand if you have to take off to do a call or they will schedule you around your ambulance commitments. When I started there was no pager-pay, no stand-by pay. You were paid when the pager went off. My record was 16 days with no call out. At least now you are guaranteed $12-240 per day depending on the shift and that is without actually having to do a call.

As your seniority grows you will be able to transfer to bigger and busier stations. All the while perfecting your craft and earning more. With the way the full time hiring is going I think the seniority is at about 4 years of part-time PCP to bid for F/T. If that seems long it really isn't. Time flies when your having fun and I found working in the small towns of BC a blast! Consider too that only 7 years ago when I started the wait was 10+ years. I made it in 5. There are a ton of senior medics looking to retire and even more if we get the Public Service Occupation designation for early retirement like Fire and Police have. So the wait will be even shorter.

The ACP recruitment is a bit of a joke. There has been no rush west for jobs here as ACP is a targeted roll and PCP is the standard here. Those that have have found the licensing to be very tough. There are ACP spots open but only in the major centers and they are expensive to live in. With the current wages you have to work some O/T most blocks to keep up. Base at the PCP level is about $50k full-time and $25/hr part-time. ACP is around $70k per year. There are only a very few P/T ACP in BC and only because they choose to be due to other outside more lucrative work.

If you have any other questions just PM me and ask.

Good luck and welcome to the team.

Thanks for the very sound advice Al. I most definitely intend to go for my PCP ASAP. The only reason I'm applying before I've done it is because I want to get my foot in the door and accumulate some seniority. Also I really dislike doing much of the private sector work. Going three weeks without so much as handing out a bandaid really doesn't do anything to increase my professional experience. With Industrial EMS it's either nothing or the ^*&(* really hits the fan. No in between for the most part.

As for working in small rural stations. I think I'll quite enjoy putting in my time there. Some off my top picks on my station list selection were Golden, Field, Rossland, Lilloet. I grew up in a rural area so it won't take much adjustment for me. Also I'd love to spend some time working in the Kootenays. Climbing ice and rock, and skiing are pretty high on my list of favorite activities so anywhere in that region would be a good fit.

Cheers,

Ed

The behaviour based interview uses the STAR technique and is a pretty standard process used by the RCMP and many other employers. There are tons of web based resources out there on STAR technique preparation that are free. The fitness test is the CPAFLA test, again just google it to find the standards. I believe it consists of a step test, pushups, situps, grip strength as well as some EMS specific lifting tests. The rest of the process is all reams of paperwork: medical, criminal record check, drivers license check, reference interviews etc. Many of the vancancies for ACP have been filled. I can't speak to outside the GVRD but here in Vancouver I think we only have around 5-6 vacancies right now. We recently hired 2 people from TEMS as well as one from Ottawa. I think a couple of alberta people filled 2 spots in Victoria recently as well. A lot of people have been trained internally as well to fill many of the vacancies. There is a posting out for the Infant Transport team right now so that may pull a few ACP's out. Al can fill you in on stuff but let me know if you have any more questions. I can probably answer more ACP related stuff.

• 1 month later...

FYI Im for the queen charlotte islands and we just did a pack of emr's through out island. from what i understand is the training is very different then the pcp. if you haven't done your licensing exam please read everything in your manuals. not one person passed the written because they did think that there was going to be questions about what the didn't learn in class. so think outside of the box and read everything. iv been doing this for 12 years and i to have a full time job. you will get your best experience from the others that you work with and if they are good they will be patient and let you learn.

good luck and i hope you enjoy your new found profession

lisa

FYI Im for the queen charlotte islands and we just did a pack of emr's through out island. from what i understand is the training is very different then the pcp. if you haven't done your licensing exam please read everything in your manuals. not one person passed the written because they did think that there was going to be questions about what the didn't learn in class. so think outside of the box and read everything. iv been doing this for 12 years and i to have a full time job. you will get your best experience from the others that you work with and if they are good they will be patient and let you learn.

good luck and i hope you enjoy your new found profession

lisa

Thanks for the heads up on the exam but I have already finished licensing successfully. Your quite right about scouring the books before hand as there are definitely things included in the exam that are not covered in the course.

Just an update for any following along. I had my interview which went well as I received a letter a few days later indicating I was successful with that portion of the process and I now needed a criminal record check, physical, and fitness assessment. I've put in for the CR check, had the physical and only have the fitness assessment left to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.