Cardiac Arrest/AED

I'm going over the NREMT practical sheets and I noticed that the cardiac arrest station is different than the way my instructor taught it. It was his first time teaching a class, so I don't blame the guy. In class he taught us to question the people on scene, assess mental status, open airway, check for breathing, give 2 breaths, check pulse, and then start compressions. On the NREMT sheet it just mentions a pulse check and then resumption of CPR. Is that all I really need to do? He also said that they'd want to see us put in a combitube but the NREMT only mentions a simple airway adjunct, so which is it? Actually, he said to put in an oral airway early and then replace it with the combitube later on. I'm worried I'll do a bunch of unneccessary things and end up failing the station. Any help is appreciated!

The NREMT CPR station requires that you verbalize "BSI" and "Scene safety" - then go directly into ABC's - do not worry about C-Spine - it is not required at this station. You will need to do the combi-tube - airway ajunct (OP) is optional but good if you get it in....

If you are unsure of what is required, you are allowed to question the examiners before your time starts. You are also allowed to examine all equipment at the station. Take the time to make sure you know exactly what is expected of you. Good luck.

I take it you are about to take the NREMT-Basic practicals. The AED as we (my class) called it (Cardiac) station is simple. Follow the sheets that you got on the test that have the point by point things and the critical points on the bottom. Memorize the sheet and you are golden. I believe it is acting as you have arrive at the scene and CPR has already been started. You do you your BSI, scene size up, have them stop CPR check pulse, no pulse is stated by the examiner, have the other start CPR again than you hook up the AED. Stop the CPR, clear the patient, shock patient, CPR for 2 minutes, clear patient, shock patient, for a total of three shocks. I can't remember if that station has anything after that. Oh yea, at that station I do not believe they will even provide a combitube. Just a simple adjunct should be provided, I think.

If you have a Brady book they have the practical sheets in the back. The AED sheet I believes says something about 3 shocks right after another. Since those were written the training has changed. My teacher told us to state during the question time that I had been train with the new standard with shock and than CPR for 2 minutes and ask if that will be okay. Than you are off 8) .

There is a airway station which I believe requires combitube, but it is totally separate from the AED station.

Just be prepared for all the stations, cause you never know which one you will get.

Best of luck

shock patient, for a total of three shocks.

Best of luck

New AHA guidelines (since 2005) only 1 shock delivered.... (unless old style AED - then follow instructions on AED)

OK, I have not taken the NREMT tests. I do mention that I am in my department's EMT refresher at this time, and am trying to keep tabs on both NY State and FDNY regs, which sometimes run counter to each other.

My training is American Heart Association, with 30 compressions to 2 breaths, (FR2 brand) AED activated and analyzing/advising shock ASAP.

Can someone who has taken the American Red Cross training advise me, and the rest of us, what differences exist between the AHA and ARC "professional rescuer" CPR training?

(Yes, I am kind of hijacking this string.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.