What Path Did You Take to Become a Paramedic?

I'm interested in what path many of you took to a career in EMS. I was recently sitting at my station, of which is a mixed volunteer/career department, and observed and overheard many of the younger members discussing their aspirations to become a paramedic. It got me thinking about how I chose EMS as a career and why. I also started realizing how very different many of the people coming into the department are, especially from a values stand point.

So my question is this:

How did you get started in EMS and why? Do you regret it? And finally, do you observe any differences in the current generation of students coming out of school with their license?

I am relatively new to the field but I chose it because of several very special reasons......first and for most is because I have always enjoyed working with people....no matter what age or health condition. Second is the absoutely awesome feeling I get when I know I am that one person who was able to have the answer for my patient and reassure them that as a team we would make sense of what was wrong.....and last ........because it helps me as a mom,aunt,daughter and granddaughter to better help those I am close to when they are struggling with medical questions........I want some day to be a paramedic and then a flight medic ......each of those areas of training will only help to increase the level of aid I can provide and allow me the chance to be there for those who need me most......

cheryl

How did you get started in EMS and why? Do you regret it? And finally, do you observe any differences in the current generation of students coming out of school with their license?

When I graduated high school my intent of a career path was pre-med, with an emphasis on Emergency medicine. I thought becoming an EMT would help me determine if that is what I really wanted to do. I joined out volunteer service in Minnesota, and changed from pre-med to Agricultural education... I know big change. This way I could still volunteer my time and teach agriculture classes which is my other passion. From there I was injured playing womens professional football for the Minnesota Vixen and it was then seeing how poorly some of the medics were trained that I wanted to become a paramedic. To help educate the next generation of EMT's and Paramedics and to be passionate about the job that I am doing not like I was treated in the back of a rig. We are the premier care providers in the field and shouldn't treat our patients like they are crap, by being a paramedic I can instill that in the future EMS care providers.

To be completely honest, when we first moved here from Canada I wasn't allowed to work. While some of you may say that is a cause for celebration, I can assure it gets old pretty quick. Stuck between not wanting to continue long haul semi driving and not being able to work thanks to INS, I went to the EMT-B course being held at the local college. After completing the " Advanced first-aid" class, I knew it wasn't near enough for me. Having a BS in Biology behind me, I took a refresher class in A & P, brushed up on my chemistry and algebra and applied to medic school. I was accepted and have but one semester left ( Yea!!!!!!!).

I was thinking about the second part of your question before responding. When our classes first started, there were 52 students. Through attrition, people quitting do to lack of " stick to itness ", there are but 10 of us left. After talking to some who had quit the classes, I came to the conclusion that they were just flat out lazy. They weren't willing to put forth the effort and time required to become a good ( hopefully ) medic.

I'm not completely sold on the idea of this latest generation wanting everything handed to them. It is the society they have known all their lives. Want something to eat? Just drive up to the next window and it is there. Hell, I don't even have to get out of the car to go to the ATM!

I should add, I'm an older student and it has been fun going to college with the younger crowd. I would recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this cool movie called "Mother, Jugs and Speed" at the drive in and wanted that to be my career. Where else can you drink a beer AND drive AND Save lives....

And of course get that massage with the cool "muscle stimulation" device.

Scaramedic was that you I was dropping shots of jaeger with???? No wonder.

Actually I was first on a car wreck scene. 2 young girls, one pinned in the car and the other dying on the highway. middle of the night miles from a phone. closest house was a mile away. I drove to the house and they called ems

By the time I arrived back to the wreck the girl on the highway was dead. The girl in the car was still alive and conscious but pinned very very badly. all I could do was to hold her hand. I couldn't have gotten in the car if I wanted to. She died with her hand in mine. I promised I'd call her parents but the trooper told me not to that they would do it

to this day it haunts me because she asked me this question "What will it be like to die?" I had no answer for her other than that she wouldn't feel any more pain. (crying now)

I met her parents and I told them her last words. It was after meeting her parents that I made the decision to be a medic.

It was during my third year in college. I had almost finished the first semester and near thanksgiving is when the wreck happened. It was 1990. By the end the first semester of 1991 (winter semester) I had taken and passed my emt. I then went on to medic school after working off and on for about 8 months. I was duly licensed in June of 1991. I got my medic and my BA by 1992.

my parents told me they would pay for all my college if I would guarantee them I'd stay in school and get my Bachelors degree. I did.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.