EMT program University of Alberta - Augustana Faculty

Hi there

Does anyone know someone or has themselves taken the EMT program at the above school? I'm just trying to find out the quality of the course and instruction of the program. It seems like a perfect fit for me but I just want to get some opinions form others out there. I did find that the course is approved by ACP and CMA.

Thanks in advance!

Mmmm... actually I don't think that their PCP/EMT Program is approved. They are registered but not yet approved.

I have not heard good thing about the program, but who knows. My repeated advice is to visit at least 3 schools and ask a ton of questions. And ask what their last recorded pass rate at ACP was.

Good luck.

They have just recently finished their first EMT course. And I have not heard many good things about it either. I don't know if it is the course or just that batch of students. I suggest going to a few different schools and get info at them like it was suggested earlier.

And ask what their last recorded pass rate at ACP was.

And can you tell her what to do with that information once they give it to her?

Exactly how does she interpret these statistics to come to an intelligent conclusion?

(I know the answer. I'm just seeing if you do. :wink: )

And can you tell her what to do with that information once they give it to her?

Exactly how does she interpret these statistics to come to an intelligent conclusion?

(I know the answer. I'm just seeing if you do. :wink: )

I'm not suggesting that the ACP pass rate is the be-all end-all of decision-making tools. However, if you can't make it past ACP, you won't ever have a chance to demonstrate all the other potentially fabulous things you were taught at your school. It's a hoop everyone has to go through. There are good schools out there who can 1) teach you how to succeed at ACP and 2) prepare you for how the real world will work as well.

I know students who were so-called "honour students" at their school and failed ACP 3x. To me, as an educator, that means that the institution in question is NOT doing their job properly.

I have posted previous posts regarding advice on how to choose a good school for EMT training, and asking about the ACP pass rate is just one of the many steps I suggest. Here are some of them.

1- ask for the employment and graduate data. All schools in AB are required to submit this info to Alberta Learning on a yearly basis, and are actually required to provide it to prospective students.

2- find out where their practicum sites are, and go visit - ask questions about the quality of previous students that have come from that school

3- go visit the school. I can't believe how many students choose to spend upwards of $4000 on schools they've never seen. Ask to meet the instructor. Ask to sit in on a class to see the quality of instruction.

4- find out the ratio of instructor/students for lab/skills days

5- compare the method of delivery - are you going to be doing most of your learning on your own, or will you have a full time instructor to help you?

6- how often will you be doing labs or skills? who will be instructing you on skills? how many hours will you be working on skills vs. didactic?

7- are there guest speakers? Will you be learning how to write a proper PCR? Are there field trips?

8- what is the marking scheme? Are there exit points in the program? Do you need a 50% to pass, or a 90%?

9- ask to meet the administrative team. they will be interviewing you - you have every right to interview them first.

10- go with your gut. but educate yourself first.

I always recommend to EMT candidates - make a chart. Be organized and thorough about your search. Know what your options are, and know what the potential consequences (postive or negative) are with your choice.

I am always amazed that there are students out there willing to spend $4000 on a product they know nothing about.

There. All the advice I have to give today LOL.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.