EMT program University of Alberta - Augustana Faculty

I'm not suggesting that the ACP pass rate is the be-all end-all of decision-making tools. However, if you can't make it past ACP, you won't ever have a chance to demonstrate all the other potentially fabulous things you were taught at your school.

All excellent advice, Ed. I wasn't knocking your advice. I just think it is important to view those statistics in a context. Remember, most people in EMS have never taken a statistics course, and therefore have no realistic idea of what to do with them or how to interpret them.

If a school has a very low pass rate, that is a bad sign and one should look very critically and sceptically at that school. However, if a school has a very good pass rate, it is not necessarily a good sign. A school can be crap and still have a great pass rate. Basically, there are three main ways that a student passes the ACP or NREMT exam. First, he receives superior quality education and truly understands the material. Second, he receives enough test-specific training and coaching that he is able to figure out the test questions. And finally, third, he's just such an uber smart dude and good student that he passes anything, no matter how crappy the school. Now, only one of those three scenarios is a positive reflection on the school, yet that accounts for probably only a third of their passing students.

If a school has a very high pass rate, and a very low dropout rate, that is a good thing. That means they are probably excellent educators who can take just about anybody and turn them into a good medic. But if a school maintains their high pass rate simply by washing out all but the smartest people before exam time, then it doesn't really say anything about their quailty of instruction. And it probably means that if you aren't one of the uber smart kids (what were your science and math grades like in high school?), then you might not do well at this school. They may be taking the easy way out by not really focusing on sound educational techniques and just teaching the test to smart kids who test well. That means no personal attention when you start having trouble with a certain section of the curriculum. Then you flunk out before you ever get to ACP, just so the school can claim a high pass rate. Those that actually graduated were the cream of the crop, so it's no wonder they passed ACP first try.

Remember, statistics are deceiving. Definitely don't go with an established school with poor pass rates. That is a given. But if you have a choice of several schools with decent pass rates, do not let the higher pass rate be your determining factor. It is terribly misleading.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...
On 6/25/2007 at 6:44 PM, iMac said:

Have recently heard a lot of negative things about Augustana. Rumors are always Bias so those opinions I have heard of people who have gone there will be according to what it is they think.

I wouldnt go there.

I also have heard different negative things about this program but I think that this program is a very cool program but there are problems with doing homework that can be solved by the site - PapersWizard that proposes writing essays for students and writing research papers for students who are studying on this program and for students who are studying not for this program but for all students for all schoolchildren and for people who are engaged in writing papers!

Edited by MartinSuperBoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 4:52 AM, MartinSuperBoy said:

I also have heard different negative things about this program but I think that this program is a very cool program but there are problems with doing homework that can be solved by the site - PapersWizard that proposes writing essays for students and writing research papers for students who are studying on this program and for students who are studying not for this program but for all students for all schoolchildren and for people who are engaged in writing papers!

Dust would have a field day with this one - but Dust is no longer here - so I'll take a stab

DO NOT LISTEN OR TAKE THE ABOVE CRAPPY QUOTED ADVICE read why below!!!!!!!

Papers Wizard is a Horrible suggestion.  The website says that they will write your paper for you by professional writers but their website doesn't even have a professional writer proofread the crap that they put out on their own website.  For example

Every sentence below has at least one spelling or grammatical error except the last sentence.  You should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting that people use this shithole of a site to do their schoolwork.  This is the same type of shitty program that used to send catalogs to people or advertise in the back of popular mechanics back when I went to college and you could buy pre-written essays for 10bucks a page.  Before they had the online programs that checked for plagiarism, which I bet each of the papers you get from these bright stars has been bought and sold more than once or twice and is on record in those plagiarism site.  

image.png.0608577cda5f290bf14d22b28162b12f.png

MartinSuperBoy - I don't really know who you are but your advice to use this site is horrible and goes against the spirit of this site.  You are going to get Coal in your stocking this year and I hope that no one on this thread goes to the site you recommended and uses the service because you have given shitty advice to use this crappy internet "zero to hero writing" service.  

Terrible advice.  

Edited by Just Plain Ruff

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.