So tell me what it's really like...

Emmy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zippy is right (did I just type that?)

sit down scott... need a cup of tea mate?????

Paramedics are registered health care practitioners in the UK, unlike here.

As far as UK goes, the ambulance service is the way ahead. Degree based entry level to practice (EMT will be phased out over time) a bearable salary at last, room for growth up through the ranks, or continuing education for ECP, or Critical care para (coming soon I believe)

Fire Service? good if you have a desire to gain 30lbs by wanting to sleep all day. Not many calls compaired to the ambulance service...London ambulance alone, handle about 4 thousands calls A DAY

UK EMS is evolving, and moving in the right direction, we could do worse than take a leaf or two out of their book.

spot on with your observations and in terms of the stuff aobut Uk paramedics being actual real proper Health professionals they really are... "mother may i" never happened in the UK and was buried competely in 1999

It is a great profession to be in that is a truth. I finished my EMT when I was 18 just old enough to take the test and have not looked back since. The con where I live in a rural setting I know most of my pt's I come across, and sometimes that is very hard to deal with, but like some others have said it is that screwball attitude that get you by to the next call and knowing what you do truly does make a difference to that person and to the families. The hours sometimes are corky, you meet some of the most interesting people in the world, and you really get your eyes opened to what happens in the world.

My advise, like others see if you can get some ride-a-longs. There are programs out there that take on trainees too though I don't know about your area. There are a few areas in which I live that we have what we call explorers. It is almost like an after school type program you are trained at first as a first responder and can move up in the ranks. This works well with our area having such a small population, and it sparks that interest for a lot of kids to go into some area of the healthcare provider field.

My honest opinion? Become an RN and don't waste a degree. There is no where to go in the Paramedic field. You are a paramedic or you are an administrator. That's about all you can be with a degree in Paramedic Science. If you really want to, alot of hospitals will accept RN's as Paramedics and let them go into the field. Usually accompanied by only an EMT-B certification. Plus when you have your nursing degree you can get a job doing pretty much anything. If you want to specialize in a certain type of care or be an ER nurse or even work in the trauma section. On top of that if you want to expand your education you can become a BSN or MSN. Not to mention the pay scale is alot better when you are a nurse compared to a paramedic. I'm probably going to get heat for saying this, but it's the truth.

On the plus side. It really is a fun job with alot of action that will keep you entertained for years to come. The pay isn't horrible, but it isn't great either. I would suggest something along the lines of an EMT-B certification first and see if you really like it. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Good luck.

blue angel - pretty irrelevant to Uk based OP who regardless of whether they choose a Nursing of paramedicine programme will come out the other end if successful with at least

1. 2/3rd of a honours degree

2. registration as a health Professional ( either NMC for nurse or HPC for Paramedic)

3. a good chance of a AFC band 5 job in the NHS

as for the ridealong stuff - join SJA or BRC and get some real exposure to EMS work ... ( the major events can provide more expeirence in a couple of days than a week or even a month of the rubbish calls that pervade EMS world wide )

sit down scott... need a cup of tea mate?????

That would be laaavly. Milk and four please!

spot on with your observations and in terms of the stuff aobut Uk paramedics being actual real proper Health professionals they really are... "mother may i" never happened in the UK and was buried competely in 1999

I think there are more issues out with that of the US having a Medical Control-based system, which can sometimes be quite lenient, depending on where in the country you ride.

I find it extremely frustrating at times, knowing that in the US, we have an infinite amount of resources, many many thousands of people trained in at least the basics of EMS, a country which is very pro-college / university education, and in my part of the world at least, financial stability!

There are many systems or states though, who simply lack the desire to turn a pastime into a profession. A paid volly system, for example, does not constitute a professional EMS system. The best comparison I can make between UK and US EMS, is that between the US and UK coastguard. Same idea, but in reverse. One has a higher (in this case the US) professional status than the other.

At the risk of being labelled a hypocrite, I have always been for the idea of having EMS on a level peg with nursing, as far as professional status, salary, job prospects, higher education (RNs can go all the way to Doctor of Nursing here) etc goes. At the moment in the US, this is not the case.

I also have no problem with the US looking at other systems abroad, and [ahem] adopting their ideas. We just have to look outside the box a bit.

Good for the few US states who provide degree-level paramedics and national registry...a move in the right direction. Shame its not like that everywhere else in the country.

All the potential in the World.

scott i think you hit the nail right on the head, however thinking outside the box is to dangerous for most paper pushers cause it would mean that their butt would be on the line.

the job of being a paramedic can be very rewarding and it can be very demoralizing. the job takes a person who is borderline a.d.d., a strong personality to overpower any type of situation that needs mental perserverance, and the brains to konw when your in over your head.

i was once in your same shoe, at a young age knowing what i wanted to do. i followed the advice of another posting person and did a little life living first. i think that it was the right decision.

good luck to you and continue to search for the path of your life

• 5 months later...

Hi again, everyone.

Firstly, I'm really sorry that I dropped the ball in regards to this thread. I'm afraid that I've had a busy last few months with school and work and other commitments and somehow forgot about the post I'd made here. Also, sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I feel guilty for not acknowledging and thanking everyone who replied with well thought out and honest advice.

Secondly, thank you all for your detailed replies. I really appreciate the thought and time put into them and, as Chaser pointed out, I've received some very good advice. I appreciate all opinions and information, whether from the US or the UK, though obviously the UK info is more relevant to me. I've just read through all of the responses and I've learnt a lot and been left with a lot to think about.

Since posting here back in May, I've had some other thoughts about career choices and where to go and what to do once I'm finished with school. (I know a few people in here mentioned nursing and that was something that I very seriously considered.) Currently, becoming a paramedic isn't my first choice, though it is something that I've still got on the back burner, so to speak. (As is nursing.)

Up until recently, I hadn't thought about EMS as much and had been looking at my other options, but I had a run-in* with some paramedics, nurses, doctors and other healthcare professionals on Thursday night and it stirred up some of my old thoughts about going into that line of work. Since then, I've been lurking and reading a hell of a lot here again.

Those of you who suggested I get some experience were right on the mark and I know that this is something I most definitely need to do. I have a friend who is heavily involved in St John Ambulance and I intend to start after Christmas. I figure that this way I can get some training and experience in first aid and see if this is really something I want to pursue. My friend has even had the chance to go on a couple of ride-alongs and she absolutely loved it, so I may look into that as well.

Anyway, this is getting long, so I'll sum it up here. Thank you all very much for your input and honesty. You're right, Dust, I didn't want smoke blown up my arse. :wink: I wanted blunt and honest facts and I got it, so thanks. I'll keep reading and researching and I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Thanks,

Em.

*For those interested, my great aunt was taken into hospital in an ambulance due to her very high blood pressure and very low salt levels. She is terrified of hospitals and people in the healthcare field, so the paramedics just came to assess her at first and then, gradually, persuade her to go with them back to the hospital. This all resulted in my dad, aunt and I taking an 11pm trip to A&E, not leaving until 2am. My great aunt is still in hospital right now and is expected to be home in a few days, if she continues to improve.

Being a paramedic has its ups and downs. Mostly downs. On the one hand your pay will suck, the work takes a toll on just about every part of your body, knees, back, ears, skin, mind, when they say this job takes everything you have to do it day in and day out, its not an exaggeration.

You're not going to be commended and don't expect any recognition. Not only is our profession poorly understood but also, really when it comes down to it, people don't want to think about what we do. Its unpleasant. Hanging around with paramedics, to many people, is like playing cards with undertakers and blood splatter pattern analysts, just not really the type of people you want to get to know unless you're like one of those Goths who hang out at Hot Topic at the mall.

The only plus side is living with the pretty much silent knowledge that you do more good in a week than most people do in their entire lives. If that is something that is important to you, then this is the career for you.

The only plus side is living with the pretty much silent knowledge that you do more good in a week than most people do in their entire lives. If that is something that is important to you, then this is the career for you.

And that's exactly what drew me to the caring professions. As cheesy as it sounds, I really do want to help people and have a positive impact on their lives.

The negatives are important as well, though, and I do appreciate that. I'm definitely keeping them in mind.

Edit: Thanks, Capman. My dad has been to visit my great aunt and she's doing a lot better. She's still a bit confused and lethargic, but she's eating and drinking well and she's been put on a drip to increase her salt levels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.